THE trial of a Rotherham peer facing allegations of historic child sexual abuse has been delayed until July.
Lord Nazir Ahmed was due to stand trial at Sheffield Crown Court today (Monday) but the court heard that Ahmed’s barrister, Mr Imran Khan, had been hospitalised.
Judge Jeremy Richardson, QC, said it would have been wrong to expect another barrister to represent Lord Ahmed at such a late stage.
“This is a very unfortunate and unforeseen state of affairs,” he said.
Ahmed (61), of East Bawtry Road, Rotherham, is charged with indecently assaulting a boy and two counts of attempted rape against a girl aged under 16 in the early 1970s.
The peer faces a further allegation of buggery against the same boy aged under 11.
The former Labour politician would have been aged between 14 to 17 when the alleged abuse took place against the two complainants.
He denies all of the charges.
Ahmed's two brothers, who appeared at court alongside him, are charged with sexually abusing the same boy between 1968 to 1972.
Mohammed Tariq (63), of Gerard Road, Rotherham (above) is charged with two counts of indecently assaulting the boy when he would have been aged between 14 to 16.
Mohammed Farouq (68), of Worrygoose Lane, Rotherham, (above) is charged with four counts of indecent assault, said to have taken place when he was aged between 17 to 22.
Farouq has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges and Tariq has not entered any pleas.
Ahmed and Tariq were bailed until July 13 and Farouq was bailed until a hearing on April 14.