Fire at Kilnhurst recycling warehouse was 'accidental'

By Chloe West | 04/03/2019

Fire at Kilnhurst recycling warehouse was 'accidental'
Emergency crews at the scene in Wharf Road. Photo credit: Lee Jenkins.

THE cause of a fire at a Kilnhurst recycling plant which six crews tackled yesterday (Sunday) was accidental.

Firefighters were called to Universal Recycling on Wharf Road just after 9.30am, where crews remained for more than three hours, after machinery and equipment within the building caught fire.

The incident resulted in a multi-agency response from Police, the Environment Agency and Utilities.

Wharf Road was closed until crews left the scene at around 1pm. 

"The cause of the fire at the warehouse in Kilnhurst was accidental due to a battery catching fire," said a fire service spokeswoman.

The "quick actions of the incident commander and the crews" resulted in the fire being kept under control swiftly, she added.

This is the third fire at the site in two years.

In June 2017, 500 tonnes of plastic went up in flames, causing schools, homes and businesses to be evacuated.

And 13 months later in June 2018, a fire broke out at neighbouring firm Moulding Solutions due to faulty machinery.

 

 



Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.