A STRIKER who has played in the top division of German football is on trial with Rotherham United as the Millers look to add to their attacking options for their Championship survival run-in.
The forward, who is a German free agent with Bundesliga experience, could be offered a deal until the end of the season if he impresses.
He has already spent two days training with the first team at the club's Roundwood complex and was set to feature for the reserves in midweek before red tape prevented his participation.
Manager Paul Warne, whose team are at home to Wigan Athletic tomorrow as they approach the final third of the season, missed out on several attacking targets during the January transfer window but hasn't given up on the idea of reinforcing his squad.
"We were trying to get his paperwork sorted for him to play in the ressies game on Tuesday but unfortunately his international clearance didn't come through," the boss said.
"It wasn't our fault. It was at the other end. His last club was in Saudi Arabia so the system hasn't been the quickest. Once the paperwork is sorted, he will come back over and we'll take another look at him.
"We looked at him in training for two days but I don't think you can really judge people in training. You need to see them in a proper game."
The striker, aged around 30, has flown home and will now await Rotherham's call to return.
"He'll come back," Warne added. "Obviously, we tried to strengthen up top during the transfer window and came unstuck so we're now trying to go down another avenue and see if there is another option that can help us.
"If it works out, it will be a short-term deal to the end of the season. Vass (Kyle Vassell) isn't 100 per cent and if something happened to Smudge (Michael Smith) I'd have to put my coaching hat on and make Semi (centre-half Ajayi) the best number nine of all time.
"We're always on a little bit of a knife-edge with Smudge. Luckily, he's built like granite so we should be okay."
Meanwhile, the manager says he "disappointed" the Millers and Millwall are the subject of an FA charge after a mass melee during last weekend's 0-0 draw at the Den.
Tempers flared following a 56th-minute challenge by Rotherham skipper Richard Wood left Lions goalkeeper Jordan Archer requiring treatment.
Richard Wood at Millwall
"I'm disappointed," Warne said. "I accept that there was a bit of a ruckus. The referee didn't book anyone for excessive force or fighting, but the rule now is that if a few players get involved then there are repercussions.
"In fairness to both teams, I don't think it was a massive deal. Woody's challenge didn't go down well. Understandably, the Millwall players reacted. Understandably, my players then reacted to protect their captain."
Both clubs have been charged with "failing to ensure their players behaved in an orderly fashion", but Warne added: "I didn't think it was anything major, to be honest.
"I understand we have a responsibility for the good of the game to keep things in good order. But if my kids had been at the game, I don't think they would have wanted to see the Rotherham captain surrounded by Millwall players and our team not stick up for each other.
"That is just never going to happen in a game full of adrenaline when you're playing on the edge a bit anyway. In my opinion, neither team did much wrong."
After the Wigan clash, the Millers are next in action on Tuesday night at Hull City.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.