MATCH REPORT: Ten-man Shrewsbury sink Millers at the death

By David Beddows | 18/11/2017

MATCH REPORT: Ten-man Shrewsbury sink Millers at the death
Kieffer Moore's first-half penalty is saved. Picture: STEVE METTAM

A STOPPAGE time goal sentenced Rotherham United to a sickening late defeat against ten-man Shrewsbury Town at the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

The Millers looked on course for at least a point against Paul Hurst’s league leaders when Richie Towell cancelled out Jon Nolan’s first-half opener with 15 minutes to go.

But the visitors, who played half-an-hour with ten men after the dismissal of captain Abu Ogogu, scored in a rare breakaway through Stefan Payne in the 93rd minute to win 2-1.

Rotherham also saw top scorer Kieffer Moore miss an early penalty and could only blame themselves for the loss.

They showed three changes to the side which drew at Doncaster last week, with Joe Mattock, Shaun Cummings and Towell all starting.

Mattock, back from suspension, was given a hard time by Shrews wide man Shaun Whalley in the first half but not before a mad spell which started 13 minutes in.

First, Richie Towell was felled in the penalty area and although Moore struck the resulting spot-kick cleanly, Dean Henderson got across well to beat it away.

The visitors capitalised within three minutes. They broke down the left and Nolan cut inside to send a measured shot across O’Donnell and into the far corner.

Other than forcing one or two scrambles, Rotherham didn’t react well to the goal and Whalley forced O’Donnell to block at his near post.

Warne resisted the temptation to make changes at half time and was unfortunate not to see his side fall further behind shortly after the restart when Nolan, teed up a few yards out, side-footed the ball into the kop.

Moments later, the match took a turn when visiting captain Abu Ogogo was shown a straight red card for a bad challenge on Shaun Cummings.

Lee Frecklington and Jonson Clarke-Harris were thrown into the fray but it was still a slog for the Millers as the visitors’ ten men funnelled back and made it difficult.

Rotherham finally got back on level terms 15 minutes from time. They broke down the left and when Joe Newell’s cross was half-cleared, the ball fell for Towell to send an unstoppable shot past Henderson from just inside the penalty area.

Shrewsbury were pinned back in the closing minutes until breaking to force a corner. The ball came in and eventually fell for Payne to rifle high into the net to stun the home crowd.

Rotherham, without a win in five league games, sit eighth in League One while the visitors move four points clear at the top.

Millers: O’Donnell, Cummings (Clarke-Harris 60), Ajayi, Wood Frecklington(71), Mattock, Williams, Potter, Vaulks, Towell, Newell, Moore

Shrewsbury: Henderson, Riley, Godfrey, Sadler, Beckles, Whalley, Ogogo, Nolan, Nsiala, Rodman, Payne

Referee: Robert Jones (Merseyside)

Attendance: 8,184 (699 visitors)

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.