MANAGER Paul Warne has ruled out the prospect of Danny Ward or John Marquis joining Rotherham United in the transfer window.
Responding to reports that former Millers forward Ward and Doncaster Rovers hot-shot Marquis are on his January wanted list, Warne confirmed that neither would be coming to AESSEAL New York Stadium.
"Danny is part of Neil Warnock's plans at Cardiff City," the boss said. "There is no truth in that rumour at all.
"Don't get me wrong, if I spoke to Neil Warnock later and he said Danny was available, I'd snap Neil's hand off. But that hasn't been a conversation I've had.
"There's absolutely no truth in Marquis as well. I was at a game on Tuesday night at Mansfield and sat with the Doncaster manager, Grant McCann, and he laughed and said he's been asked about it.
"It must be agent talk. I haven't spoken to Doncaster at all about him. I've haven't spoken to his agent, I haven't had a conversation with his club. He's doing great things for Doncaster but he isn't a target of ours."
Warne, whose side are at home to in-form Brentford in the Championship on Saturday, revealed that he's still in regular contact with Ward who helped the Bluebirds reach the Premier League after leaving Rotherham a year ago.
"I speak to Danny quite a lot over text," he said. "He didn't play for Cardiff last week because he had concussion. I don't know if people have seen he's not been on the bench and have read something into that.
"He was fundamental in their success last season and this year he's been injured and has come back. I'd be amazed if he left a Premier League team to come to a Championship side."
Adding to his options up front is Warne's priority this month but little has changed since last Saturday when he said a new arrival was at least 10 days away.
"Not a lot has moved since the weekend," he said. "I'm spinning a few plates. I'm not close to signing anyone."
The Millers have new boy Matt Crooks and fellow midfielder Richie Towell, who has completed his three-match ban, available to face the Bees but will still be without attackers Kyle Vassell and Joe Newell.
Centre-half Sean Raggett, who had a tooth knocked out in last Saturday's match at Ipswich Town, is expected to be fit.
Vassell hasn't played for nearly two months because of a groin injury while Newell has also been laid low by a groin complaint and could be sidelined for an extended spell.
"Vass won't be ready this weekend. He's tentatively joined in training this week but he's still in a bit of pain," Warne said.
"Over the next week, we'll see if we can step him up. If he's in too much pain, we'll have to look at another avenue. He's training but he's a bit inhibited at the moment.
"It's a little bit of a mystery at the moment. Hopefully in the next week we will know which way we're going.
"Newell's still out. He's stepping up his rehab today (Thursday). He's had a week of downtime, just doing gym work. There's no chance he'll play this weekend.
"I don't know how long he will be out for. He's seeing a specialist on Monday. We need him back because he's that little bit of gold dust for us at times. But I don't seeing him coming back any time soon.
"Raggett had some dental work done on Tuesday. When he heads the ball he still feels pain, as you'd expect when you've had your front tooth knocked out. He's trained both days this week and should train today."
Brentford head to New York unbeaten in their last six matches after initially suffering a slump when Thomas Frank replaced Dean Smith as manager in October. They are in 17th spot, four places above Rotherham.
"They have come good again," Warne said. "They comprehensively beat Stoke City last weekend.
"One of their centre-halves (Chris Mepham) who hasn't even been in the team is linked to a £15 million move to Bournemouth.
"We're well aware of the size of the game for us on Saturday. They beat us 5-1 at their place on opening day.
"It was our first game back at this level so hopefully we've improved a bit since then."
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.