Two-goal Best caps Millers fightback

ROTHERHAM United scored three times in the last ten minutes to grab a dramatic draw against promotion chasing Derby County at the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

Second best for most of the game and trailing 3-0, they pulled one back from Danny Ward before super sub Leon Best scored twice to make it 3-3 amid chaotic scenes.

Rotherham had to do plenty of defending in the first half as the visitors, with several millions of pounds worth of talent in their ranks, hogged possession.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was a rare opening early on when Ward was set clear by a peach of a pass from Broadfoot and forced goalkeeper Scott Carson to parry but after that the Millers were twice indebted to Lee Camp to keep the scores level.

The second half was only nine minutes old when the visitors made a deserved breakthrough, Tom Ince seizing onto a weak clearance to shoot hard and low into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area.

Martin missed an easy chance at the back post but the respite was brief. The striker made no mistake from a similar position moments later and no sooner had the game re-started than Derby added a third. Danny Collins’ short back pass put Camp in trouble and when the ball ran loose, Ince had the simple task of tapping his second of the day into an open goal.

The game looked all but over, even when Ward latched onto a pass from sub Grant Ward to make it 3-1 on 83 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the home fans sensed a comeback was on when Best bundled the ball home and the Rams were just digesting that blow when the striker nodded in to tie up the scores in stoppage time.

It extended the Millers’ unbeaten run to four matches and could turn out to be an important point in their Championship survival fight.

Millers: Camp, Kelly, Mattock, Broadfoot, Collins, Green (Best 69), Smallwood, Thomas (Grant Ward 31), Derbyshire (Newell 69), Frecklington, D. Ward

Derby:  Carson, Christie, Bryson, Olsson, Shackell, Keogh, Hendrick, Johnson, Ince, Thorne (Blackman 74), Martin (Bent 74)

Referee: David Webb (County Durham)

Attendance: 11,163 (2,621 visitors)