Two games, two yellow cards ... Rotherham United manager Matt Taylor crosses swords with the officials again at Sunderland

Rotherham United manager Matt Taylor at Sunderland. Picture: Jim BrailsfordRotherham United manager Matt Taylor at Sunderland. Picture: Jim Brailsford
Rotherham United manager Matt Taylor at Sunderland. Picture: Jim Brailsford
The new rules throw up another flashpoint.

ROTHERHAM United boss Matt Taylor was booked for the second match in succession as his under-strength side slipped to a 2-1 Championship defeat at Sunderland yesterday.

The manager picked up a yellow card after the final whistle for his protests to referee Gavin Ward about only five minutes of stoppage time being added as the Millers tried in vain to score an equaliser in front of a 40,000-plus crowd at the Stadium of Light.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the opening two league matches of the season, at Stoke City and at home to Blackburn Rovers, a further seven and nine minutes respectively had been played under the new rules aimed at curbing time-wasting.

Confusion reigned at the end of the Black Cats clash as Taylor, without a number of key men because of injuries and suspension, tackled the officials following a second half that had seen a number of interruptions.

"The fourth official said it was the linesman who was time-keeping, the referee said it was the fourth official," the boss said.

"There were five minutes added on the back of Sunderland's second goal, six substitution stops and an injury where all 22 players came across and had a drinks break.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"From what we've seen this season, to have five minutes is absolutely incredible. It frustrates the life out of me. I wasn't after ten or 12, but more than five. That was my frustration."

Taylor had been cautioned a week earlier by Robert Madley for kicking a water bottle after Fred Onyedinma had been sent off during the 2-2 draw with Blackburn.

The winger sat out yesterday's match because of a one-game ban as the loss left Rotherham in 22nd spot with one point from their first three fixtures.

The Millers took a 20th-minute lead through Hakeem Odoffin but goals either side of the break from 17-year-old Jobe Bellingham gave the home side victory.

"In the second half we gave the ball away too often," Taylor said. "I think you can see that some of those players are at a low point in terms of their energy. We're low in terms of numbers."