Other names in the frame as Rotherham United move striker search away from Billy Sharp

The saga has dragged on for more than a month.
Free-agent centre-forward Billy SharpFree-agent centre-forward Billy Sharp
Free-agent centre-forward Billy Sharp

ROTHERHAM United have turned their search for a striker away from Billy Sharp and on to other targets after being kept waiting for an answer from the veteran hitman.

The Millers' offer to the 37-year-old former Sheffield United centre-forward remains on the table but, with Championship opening day fast approaching, they are also looking elsewhere.

Sharp, a free agent after leaving the Blades, says he wants to stay at second-tier level but has spent more than a month considering his options.

“We can't keep talking about that situation,” said manager Matt Taylor after Tuesday evening's friendly win over Sheffield United. “There are so many other names we are targeting, talking to. We've got people who are in front of us right now. It has dragged on for a long time. I don't think it's just us involved. There are other suitors.”

Rotherham, who had been expecting to hear one way or the other from the Championship's 130-goal all-time record scorer last week, are in talks with Andre Green following the attacker's impressive trial.

They are still committed to recruiting more people who have second-tier experience as they look to build on last term's second-tier survival.

“It's so important that we bring in knowledge and understanding of the league,” Taylor said. “We've done that already with Cafu - everyone could see his quality tonight.

"We've got players who are close to signing who will add that.”