On-the-whistle report: Stoke City 1 Rotherham United 0

Joe Mattock up against Tyrese Campbell at the bet356 Stadium. Picture by Jim BrailsfordJoe Mattock up against Tyrese Campbell at the bet356 Stadium. Picture by Jim Brailsford
Joe Mattock up against Tyrese Campbell at the bet356 Stadium. Picture by Jim Brailsford

A MOMENT of Hallowe'en horror cost Rotherham United a share of the spoils in their Championship clash at Stoke City.

The Millers were undone in the first-half by a route-one ball they should have defended and never managed to find a route back into the game.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ironically, they'd just fashioned a chance themselves at the bet365 Stadium when a long goal-kick straight down the pitch caught them out.

After goalkeeper Angus Gunn's long punt, the next touch was from James McLean who directed the bouncing ball beyond Jamal Blackman to open the scoring.

The defeat, only three days after their derby heroics against Sheffield Wednesday, saw them slip two places to 19th in the table. Stoke had had an extra 24 hours to prepare.

After an even opening, the Millers had a let-off on 12 minutes when Nick Powell's cross was headed by Tyrese Campbell into the path of McLean who could only poke the ball wide as he came sliding in.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Freddie Ladapo worked his way through the Stoke defence in the 26th minute but slipped just as he was about to pull the trigger and Rotherham paid a heavy price by immediately falling behind.

Gunn's goal-kick evaded everyone, allowing McLean to prosper.

Blackman was called into action only seconds later, denying Powell from an angle with a sharp save.

Angus MacDonald was given a yellow card by Darren Bond for an alleged trip on Powell who looked to have slipped. Earlier in the game, Bond had been happy to let a kick on Blackman by Steven Fletcher go unpunished.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

As half-time approached, beautiful control from Mickel Miller from Angus MacDonald's long ball took him clear but the winger#s low cross couldn't find a Rotherham teammate when the goal was gaping.

Millers manager Paul Warne had made two changes to the side that had thumped derby rivals Sheffield Wednesday 3-0 in midweek.

Angus MacDonald, available after a three-match ban, came in at centre-half and Shaun MacDonald was recalled to midfield, with Richard Wood and Ben Wiles dropping to the bench.

Rotherham were first to show after the interval as a quick break ended with Miller's fierce goalbound shot from the edge of the area being blocked.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They threatened again just after the hour mark when Matt Crooks, on for the injured Shaun MacDonald, headed over from a corner, before Florian Jozefzoon was well off target with a snap-shot.

Stoke's first second-half attempt on goal saw Blackman keep out Danny Batth's 73rd-minute header.

The Millers made attacking substitutions in a bid to force an equaliser but, in truth, never truly looked like breaking down the Potters.

By the time the final whistle went, they hadn't forced Gunn into a save all game.

Goals: McLean 27 (Stoke).

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stoke (4-2-3-1): Angus Gunn; Tommy Smith, Harry Souttar, Danny Batth, Morgan Fox; John Obi Mikel, Jordan Thompson (Jordan Cousin 78); Tyrese Campbell (Jacob Brown 78), Nick Powell (Tashan Oakley-Boothe 89), James McLean; Steven Fletcher. Subs not used: Blondy Nna Noukeu, Liam Lindsay, Tom Ince, Sam Vokes.

Rotherham (4-2-3-1): Jamal Blackman; Wes Harding, Michael Ihiekwe, Angus MacDonald, Joe Mattock; Dan Barlaser, Shaun MacDonald (Matt Crooks 59); Florian Jozefzoon, Jamie Lindsay (Michael Smith 59), Mickel Miller; Freddie Ladapo (George Hirst 70). Subs not used: Viktor Johansson, Richard Wood, Ben Wiles, Kieran Sadlier.

Referee: Darren Bond (Lancashire).