On-the-whistle report: Rotherham United 2 Brentford 4

ROTHERHAM United suffered a deserved Championship defeat at the hands of Brentford at AESSEAL New York Stadium.
Match actionMatch action
Match action

The Millers levelled for a second time with 17 minutes to go through Clark Robertson's header and, at 2-2, a grandstand finish for the home side looked to be on the cards.

But it was the visitors, without an away win all season until today, who pulled away for victory with two more goals.

Events elsewhere kept Paul Warne's 21st-placed men out of the bottom three, but a positive result, after last week's loss at bottom club Ipswich Town, would have been so welcome, particularly as leaders Leeds United are next up at New York in seven days.

Rotherham fell behind after less than two minutes when Said Benrahma crossed low from the left and Kamohelo Mokotjo tucked the ball home.

But the Millers rallied and, after a Will Vaulks long-ranger was saved, Jon Taylor produced a stunning half-volley from the edge of the box to equalise on 20 minutes.

Both sides were capable of troubling the other and Taylor came desperately close to adding to his tally in the 35th minute when his instinctive back-post finish from Zak Vayner's cross went just wide.

Only two minutes later, Rotherham wasted two glorious chances to go in front. 

Robertson should have done better from Vaulks' cross than hit visiting goalkeeper Daniel Bentley with his header and Semi Ajayi then messed up horribly right in front of goal as he somehow screwed the ball off target.

There was a let-off for the Millers two minutes into the second half when Neal Maupay controlled the ball brilliantly only to poke his shot wide.

But minutes later Benrahma finished off a slick move to restore the advantage for Brentford who are now unbeaten in seven matches.

Robertson levelled matters in the 73rd minute, heading past Bentley, although there was some doubt over who got the final touch. However, parity lasted only two minutes as Mokotjo struck for the second time.

Maupay could have ended the contest in the 78th minute yet chipped wide with only Rodak to beat, but the same player duly wrapped up proceedings seven minutes later with the visitors' fourth.

Rotherham United (4-4-1-1): Marek Rodak; Zak Vyner, Semi Ajayi, Clark Robertson, Joe Mattock; Anthony Forde, Will Vaulks, Richie Towell, Jon Taylor; Ben Wiles, Michael Smith. Unused: Lewis Price, Billy Jones, Sean Raggett, Richard Wood.

Subs: Matt Crooks (for Wiles, 59 minutes), Jerry Yates (for Vyner, 77), Vassell (for Forde, 86).

Brentford (3-4-3): Daniel Bentley; Ezri Konsa, Julian Jeanvier, Yoann Barbet; Henrik Dalsgaard, Romaine Sawyers, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Rico Henry; Ollie Watkins, Neal Maupay, Said Benrahma. Unused: Luke Daniels, Moses Odubajo, Josh McEachran, Mads Bech Sorensen.

Subs: Sergi Canos (for Benrahma, 76), Chiedozie Ogbene (for Watkins, 88), Josh Dasilva (for Mokotjo, 88).

Goals: Taylor 20, Robertson 73 (Rotherham); Mokotjo 2, 75, Benrahma 52, Maupay 85 (Brentford).

Referee: Tony Harrington (Cleveland).

Attendance: 8,319 (606).