On-the-whistle report: Rotherham United 2 AFC Wimbledon 2

Kyle Vassell in action against WimbledonKyle Vassell in action against Wimbledon
Kyle Vassell in action against Wimbledon
LEADERS Rotherham United were hit by late heartache in their bid to extend their advantage at the top of League One.

The Millers looked to be heading for their ninth victory in ten league games as they led 2-1 in stoppage time but a 93rd-minute penalty stopped them in their tracks.

The draw at windswept, rain-lashed AESSEAL New York Stadium was enough to keep them at the summit on goal difference but ended a run of five straight home league wins

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Paul Warne's men dominated the game and could have won by a distance in yet another contest blighted by inept refereeing.

Rotherham had responded to undeservedly going a goal behind in the first half with goals after the break from Matt Crooks and substitute Freddie Ladapo.

Wimbledon's spot-kick coming so late on gave the Millers no time to fight back against visitors had been kept in the game by the heroics of goalkeeper Joe Day.

The Millers started quickly and could have been at least two goals in front inside 20 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hakeeb Adelakun's fourth-minute shot from a tight angle was kept out by goalkeeper Joe Day at the near post, with Crooks failing to get a good connection on the rebound.

Eight minutes later, Michael Smith's back-post header from Dan Barlaser's corner somehow failed to find the net and the referee blew for a foul when the ball was forced over the line in the mass scramble that ensued.

Smith found himself one on one with the keeper after quarter of an hour but couldn't beat Day before Barlaser was a whisker wide with a 17th-minute effort from distance.

However, Rotherham found themselves a goal behind on 30 minutes when Max Sanders' thumping 25-yarder - Wimbledon's first effort on goal - found the top corner.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Five minutes before the break, the Millers should have been level. Only the heroics of Day kept out Adam Thompson's fierce shot and Crooks wastefully fired the loose ball over the bar.

The half finished with an inswinging Barlaser corner being headed off the line.

Playing against the wind after the interval, the home side pressed for an equaliser and Kyle Vassell, stretching to reach Smith's head-back from Chiedozie Ogbene's cross, headed just over in the 56th minute.

Within four minutes, Rotherham's pressure told, Vassell winning his battle with Mads Bech Sorensen after Barlaser's long pass and Crooks running in to drive the ball home from 15 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Soon after, Dan Iversen came to the Millers' rescue, keeping out Joe Pigott's shot at his near post.

Ladapo put Rotherham in front with a spectacular volley ten minutes after coming on as a 71st-minute sub and three points seemed to be in the bag when Bech Sorensen steered the ball just off target for Wimbledon as the clock ticked down.

But then Pigott tumbled in the box under a challenge from Thompson, the penalty was given and sub Kwesi Appiah smashed the ball past Iversen.

Referee Michael Salisbury was booed off by home fans gutted by the last-gasp setback.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham (4-4-2): Dan Iversen; Adam Thompson, Michael Ihiekwe, Richard Wood, Ben Wiles; Chiedozie Ogbene (Jamie Lindsay 90), Dan Barlaser, Matt Crooks, Hakeeb Adelakun (Josh Koroma 71); Kyle Vassell (Freddie Ladapo 71), Michael Smith. Subs not used: Laurence Bilboe, Joe Mattock, Shaun MacDonald, Matt Olosunde.

Wimbledon (3-4-2-1): Joe Day; Luke O'Neill, Terrell Thomas, Mads Bech Sorensen; Shane McLoughlin (Kwesi Appiah 83), Max Sanders, Callum Reilly, Paul Osew; Scott Wagstaff (Mitch Pinnock 73), Jack Rudoni (Rod McDonald 90+4); Joe Pigott. Subs not used: Nathan Trott, Anthony Hartigan, Adam Roscrow, Nesta Guinness-Walker.

Goals: Crooks 60, Ladapo 81 (Rotherham); Sanders 30, Appiah pen 90+3 (Wimbledon).

Referee: Michael Salisbury (Lancashire).

Attendance: 8,626 (248).

Related topics: