On-the-whistle report: MK Dons 2 Rotherham United 3

FREDDIE Ladapo climbed off the bench to inspire a famous comeback for play-off-chasing Rotherham United at MK Dons.
Jake Hastie in action against MK Dons. Picture by Trevor PriceJake Hastie in action against MK Dons. Picture by Trevor Price
Jake Hastie in action against MK Dons. Picture by Trevor Price

The League One Millers were trailing 2-0 at the break when Ladapo was sent on with fellow striker Kyle Vassell.

The substitute struck twice and could even afford to miss a penalty as Paul Warne's side turned the contest on its head to win 3-2.

Dan Barlaser's first goal for the club brought the Rotherham back into the game in the 66th minutes and Ladapo grabbed an equaliser five minutes later.

The forward went from hero to villain when he fouled inside the area on 73 minutes and fired the spot spot-kick against the bar.

But he was the hero again with four minutes remaining when he somehow squeezed in a header at the back post.

Victory moved the Millers, with their magnificent away record, up to fourth in the table.

It was far cry to the opening 45 minutes when Rotherham had been stunned by lowly opposition.

The first half was virtually one-way traffic and the visitors found themselves 2-0 down inside the first quarter of an hour.

Alex Gilbey's effort from an angle on the left somehow found the net after just four minutes and nine minutes later Joe Mason rifled a low shot past Daniel Iversen after an MK break down the right.

The home side's domination could have been rewarded with three more goals and only the sharpness of Iversen kept out attempts from Conor McGrandles, Mason and Callum Brittain.

The Millers almost gave themselves a lifeline just before the break but Michael Smith couldn't connect at the back post with Jake Hastie's ball across goal.

After the break it was a different story, with Barlaser taking advantage of defensive panic caused by Iversen's superb long kick and Ladapo being in the right spot when Vassell's searching free-kick was headed back across goal.

He was also in the right spot when it really mattered, atoning for his penalty miss late on to seal a stunning fightback.

Just to add to the drama on an astonishing day, there was a flare-up between both benches towards the end which led to MK's Baily Cargill being sent off.

MK (4-4-2): Lee Nicholls; Regan Poole, Joe Walsh, Baily Cargill, Dean Lewington; Callum Brittain (Hiram Boateng 69), Alex Gilbey, Jordan Houghton, Conor McGrandles (Ben Reeves 76); Joe Mason, Jordan Bowery (Brennan Dickenson 82). Subs not used: Stuart Moore, David Kasumu, Dylan Asonganyi, Matthew Sorinola.

Rotherham (4-4-1-1): Daniel Iversen; Matt Olosunde, Michael Ihiekwe, Clark Robertson, Billy Jones; Carlton Morris, Ben Wiles, Dan Barlaser, Jake Hastie (Trevor Clarke 64); Matt Crooks (Kyle Vassell H-T); Michael Smith (Freddie Ladapo H-T). Subs not used: Lewis Price, Adam Thompson, Jamie Lindsay, Julien Lamy.

Goals: Gilbey 4, Mason 13 (MK); Barlaser 66, Ladapo 71, 86 (Rotherham).

Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland).

Attendance: 7,811 (983).