On-the-whistle report: Maidenhead United 1 Rotherham United 3

Scorer Matt CrooksScorer Matt Crooks
Scorer Matt Crooks
THREE goals in a devastating nine-minute second-half spell saw Rotherham United come from behind to fire themselves into the second round of the FA Cup.

THREE goals in a devastating nine-minute second-half spell saw Rotheham United come from behind to fire themselves into the second round of the FA Cup.

The League One Millers were 1-0 down in the second half at non-league Maidenhead United but a quickfire flurry from Michael Ihiekwe, substitute Freddie Ladapo and Matt Crooks turned the contest on its head.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

National League Maidenhead had no answer after the break as they were reduced to ten men by Alan Massey's 55th-minute dismissal and Paul Warne's men turned the screw.

Crooks now has eight goals for the season and has scored seven times in his last seven outings.

After a scrappy start, Rotherham had the first clear sight of goal on 13 minutes when Chiedozie Ogbene took aim from 20 yards and flashed a shot wide while, four minutes later, Carlton Morris curled a free-kick off target.

The Millers had looked to be getting on top but fell behind in the 25th minute when Jake Cassidy tucked the ball home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A tame Michael Smith shot was all Magpies goalkeeper Chris Dunn had to deal with until the closing stages of the first half.

Rotherham should levelled a minute before the break but Morris couldn't beat Dunn from six yards when the goal was gaping. Even though Dunn spread himself quickly and well, the Millers man knew he had to do better.

Morris tumbled in the box seconds later only for the referee to dismiss appeals for a penalty.

Rotherham's quest for an equaliser was boosted in the 55th minute when Maidenhead captain Alan Massey dangerously cleaned out Ben Wiles on the touchline and was deservedly sent off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Substitute Freddie Ladapo wasted a 65th-minute opening with a weak header from Billy Jones' searching ball in from the left.

But the visitors needed only four more minutes to haul themselves back into the tie as Michael Ihiekwe steered the ball low past Dunn after Ogbene had crossed and Ladapo had been thwarted.

Six minutes later Ladapo finished off a fine run with a sweet strike and within another three minutes Crooks had swept home from close range following a penetrating run down the left by sub Jake Hastie.

Dunn saved when Morris tried his luck late one and then the Millers player was just wide in the dying seconds.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Magpies were game opponents and had been eyeing an upset but they hardly had a kick after the hour mark and it's Rotherham's name that goes into the hat for Monday's draw.

Maidenhead (4-5-1): Chris Dunn; Seth Twumasi, Joe Ellul, Alan Massey, Rene Steer; Ryheem Sheckleford, Ryan Upward, James Comley, Josh Smile (Danny Whitehall 79), Josh Kelly (Aron Davies 58); Jake Cassidy. Subs not used: Bradley Keetch, Bernard Mensah, Ibra Sekajja, Jaden Brissett.

Rotherham (4-4-1-1): Daniel Iversen; Matt Olosunde (Jake Hastie 62), Michael Ihiekwe, Richard Wood (Adam Thompson 37), Billy Jones; Chiedozie Ogbene, Daniel Barlaser, Ben Wiles, Carlton Morris; Matt Crooks; Michael Smith (Freddie Ladapo 53). Subs not used: Lewis Price, Jake Cooper, Akeem Hinds, Julien Lamy.

Goals: Cassidy 25 (Maidenhead); Ihiekwe 69, Ladapo 75, Crooks 78 (Rotherham).

Referee: Ollie Yates (Staffordshire).

Attendance: 1,924.