On-the-whistle report: Late disappointment but Millers climb table again ... Charlton Athletic 1 Rotherham United 1

Ollie Rathbone in action against Charlton. Picture by Jim BrailsfordOllie Rathbone in action against Charlton. Picture by Jim Brailsford
Ollie Rathbone in action against Charlton. Picture by Jim Brailsford
ROTHERHAM United climbed into third spot in League One despite being pegged back late on at Charlton Athletic tonight.

The Millers were leading 1-0 at the Valley and looked set to claim an automatic-promotion spot as they extended their unbeaten record to 12 matches.

But Mickel Miller's first league goal for the club, on the stroke of half-time, was cancelled out by Conor Washington' 82nd-minute leveller.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A point was a fair reward for a dogged second-half display by the visitors as the Addicks, resurgent under caretaker boss Johnnie Jackson, threw everything at them.

They proved their mettle by resisting a Charlton barrage towards the end of the contest.

The first chance of the game fell to Rotherham as Dan Barlaser took aim from just outside the area and whistled a shot wide of Craig MacGillivray's right-hand post.

Soon after, at the other end, Conor Washington had a clear sight of goal and should have done better than glance his header off target.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Both teams were prepared to attack but there were no clear-cut chances and Josh Vickers remained relatively unworked until he had to save a shot from Diallang Jaiyesimi on the half-hour mark.

There was fighting among Charlton fans in the home end and events on the pitch were also being fiercely contested as the Millers looked to extended their long undefeated run.

Ben Wiles left Akin Famewo for dead in the but Michael Ihiekwe, with more time than he realised, was wayward with his header when the cross came in.

With half-time approaching, Washington squandered the best opportunity of the contest so far, heading straight at Vickers from close range.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He was made to regret it almost immediately as the Millers took the lead at the perfect time, just seconds before the interval.

Miller was in the right place a few yards from goal and lashed the ball into the roof of the net when Wes Harding's cross fell to him.

Rotherham had made two changes to the side that had blitzed Sunderland 5-1 at the weekend.

Skipper Richard Wood came back into the heart of the defence and Miller started at left wing-back.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Harding moved to right wing-back, meaning the flying threat of Chiedozie Ogbene could be held in reserve on the bench, and Shane Ferguson was named among the substitutes.

Eight minutes after the restart, Vickers preserved the Millers' lead, doing brilliantly to deny Washington one on one before Michael Ihiekwe mopped up the rest of the danger.

The home side were piling on the pressure in search of an equaliser but Rotherham held out and Michael Smith tested MacGillivray with a low shot from a tight angle on 61 minutes.

Seconds later, Ladapo powered a header towards goal from Barlaser's cross and the Addicks goalkeeper pulled of a brilliant reaction save.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Millers were defending superbly to resist a sustained wave of Charlton attacking but were finally undone when Washington latched on to the ball to fire past Vickers into the bottom corner.

They were indebted to their keeper with stoppage time approaching as he dived to keep out Elliot Lee's free-kick.

There was inevitable disappointment at not holding out for victory, compounded by a yellow card for Smith that brings the striker a one-match ban.

Rotherham (3-5-2): Josh Vickers; Rarmani Edmonds-Green, Richard Wood, Michael Ihiekwe (Chiedozie Ogbene 59); Wes Harding, Ben Wiles (Hakeem Odoffin 82), Dan Barlaser, Ollie Rathbone, Mickel Miller (Shane Ferguson 68); Freddie Ladapo, Michael Smith. Subs not used: Viktor Johansson, Kieran Sadlier, Will Grigg, Josh Kayode.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Charlton (3-5-2): Craig MacGillivray; Chris Gunter, Jason Pearce, Akin Famewo; Diallang Jaiyesimi (Corey Blackett-Taylor 81), Alex Gilbey, George Dobson, Elliott Lee, Ben Purrington; Conor Washington, Jayden Stockley. Subs not used: Stephen Henderson, Charlie Kirk, Josh Davison, Ben Watson, Sean Clare, Deji Elerewe.

Goals: Miller 45+2 (Rotherham); Washington 82 (Charlton).

Referee: Scott Oldham (Lancashire).