On-the-whistle report: FA Cup success for the Millers ... Rotherham United 3 Bromley 0

Rotherham go in front. Picture by Dave PoucherRotherham go in front. Picture by Dave Poucher
Rotherham go in front. Picture by Dave Poucher
ROTHERHAM United won the battle of the unbeaten sides to march into the second round of the FA Cup this afternoon.

The Millers and visitors Bromley came into the clash at AESSEAL New York Stadium without a defeat between them in 22 combined outings.

It was League One class that told against non-league opposition as a quickfire two-goal burst just before half-time from Paul Warne's men secured their progress.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham, now undefeated in their last 13 fixtures, were worthy victors against the full-time National League promotion-chasers.

Goals from Ben Wiles, who scored an absolute stunner, Freddie Ladapo and Will Grigg were a mark of their superiority against opponents who were a man down for most of the second half following a horror tackle on Chiedozie Ogbene by Haj Mnoga.

Neither team started quickly and it took until the tenth minute for there to be an effort on goal, Ogbene's weak shot as he cut inside being easily dealt with by Reice Charles-Cook.

The Millers lost Hakeem Odoffin after just 17 minutes following a clash of heads that also saw the visitors' Billy Bingham leave the field.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A swirling wind made life difficult for both sides. Rotherham were the better team and opened up Bromley several times, but the Ravens were giving a decent account of themselves and opportunities remained hard to come by.

Ollie Rathbone's low shot brought another comfortable stop for Charles-Cook on the half-hour mark before James Alabi blazed wide at the other end.

The South-east London outfit had brought with them more than 400 fans who made themselves heard above the home support as they cheered on their team.

They were gathered in the East Stand as the away end and part of the West Stand remained closed on an afternoon when the size of crowd didn't match that of a league encounter.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the 35th minute, they were in full voice when their side broke, George Alexander forced a save from Viktor Johansson and only Wes Harding's block prevented Alabi from opening the scoring.

Rotherham took the lead with two minutes of the half remaining and it came from the best moment of the game so far.

Ogbene crossed low from the right, Rathbone dummied and Ben Wiles, on for Odoffin, picked his spot beautifully from the edge of the area.

In time added on before the interval, the Millers took complete control as Shane Ferguson's corner wasn't cleared, Richard Wood headed towards goal and Ladapo was on hand to pounce from his favourite distance of half a yard.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Alabi tried to reduce the arrears immediately, turning well and getting away a shot that Johansson gathered at the second attempt, but Bromley knew they were facing an uphill task after conceding twice at the worst possible time.

The home team, with no game to come for a fortnight because of the international break, had picked a strong side containing eight regular starters.

Will Grigg and Ladapo were selected up front, with top scorer Michael Smith on bench duty as he waits to serve a one-match league ban for picking up five bookings.

Rathbone fizzed an effort just wide soon after the restart but only a save from Johansson and a goalline clearance from substitute Rarmani Edmonds-Green prevented Bromley reducing the arrears.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 50 minutes, the visitors were down to ten men when sub Mnoga, who had been on the pitch for only five minutes, received a straight red card for a disgraceful challenge on Ogbene.

Ogbene was in full flight when Mnoga flew in and poleaxed him with a late lunge. The wing-back emerged unscathed but was taken off as the Millers shook up their pack with a flurry of substitutions.

Rathbone went close in quick succession with a rasping drive and a curling effort, both of which brought the best out od sub goalkeeper Mark Cousins, as the second half became almost one-way traffic.

By now, the Bromley followers had fallen silent while the volume had been turned in the red-and-white sections of New York.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Grigg increased Rotherham's advantage from close range in the 80th minute after Wiles' shot had been parried and Tolaji Bola had returned the ball into the area

The striker, thwarted by Cousins' sharp save, wasn't far away from a second as the clock ticked down and the Millers maintained the pressure.

Marvellous skill from Wiles almost brought the midfielder a second goal and Rotherham a fourth as they cantered to a comfortable win.

Rotherham (3-5-2): Viktor Johansson; Michael Ihiekwe (Rarmani Edmonds-Green H-T), Richard Wood, Wes Harding; Chiedozie Ogbene (Kieran Sadlier 54), Hakeem Odoffin (Ben Wiles 17), Dan Barlaser, Ollie Rathbone, Shane Ferguson (Tolaji Bola 60); Will Grigg, Freddie Ladapo (Josh Kayode 60). Subs not used: Josh Vickers, Michael Smith.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Bromley (3-4-3): Reice Charles-Cook (Mark Cousins H-T); Omar Sowunmi, Byron Webster, Chris Bush;  Luke Coulsom (Marcus Sablier 77), Liam Trotter (Jude Arthurs H-T), Billy Bingham (Jack Cawley 19), Harry Forster (Haji Mnoga H-T); George Alexander  (Louis Dennis H-T), Michael Creek (Finlay Lovatt 81), James Alabi. Subs not used: Joe Partington, Sam Skeffington.

Goals: Wiles 43, Ladapo 45+2, Grigg 80 (Rotherham).

Referee: Declan Bourne (Nottinghamshire).

Attendance: 4,064 (437).