On-the-whistle report: Derby County 6 Rotherham United 1

Billy Jones in action at DerbyBilly Jones in action at Derby
Billy Jones in action at Derby
DEPLETED Rotherham United's hopes of staying in the Championship suffered a setback as they were hit for six at Derby County.

The third-from-bottom Millers went into the first match after the international break on the back of only two defeats in their last nine outings.

They remain only a point off the survival pace but their goal difference took a battering on a horror afternoon at Pride Park.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Injuries, illness and suspensions had robbed Paul Warne's side of several key men and they were no match for the home team who put the Ram into rampant.

Ryan Williams was close to giving Rotherham a fifth-minute when he just failed to reach Joe Newell's penetrating low cross but did connect full on with the back post and required lengthy treatment.

However, the home side were slick, quick and on the front foot and it was no surprise when they went head eight minutes later as Martyn Waghorn tucked away a penalty following Mason Mount's tumble in the box.

Derby pressed for a second  but it was the Millers who almost drew blood on 27 minutes minutes, Semi Ajayi prodding the ball towards goal from Joe Newell's corner only for the Rams to clear off the line.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Millers' dam burst close to half-time when Bradley Johnson headed home Scott Malone's 40th-minute free-kick and Waghorn claimed his second of the match three minutes from the break as his flicked header beat Marek Rodak.

Rotherham were close to reducing the deficit in time added on at the end of the opening period but Millers old boy Kelle Roos produced a flying save to palm away Newell's curling free-kick.

The afternoon grew even worse for the visitors three minutes after the interval when Mount steered home Jayden Bogle's cross, although they did get on the scoresheet in the 53rd minute when Richard Wood's power-header from Newell's corner flew past Roos.

Derby kept coming and Duane Homes applied the final touch in the 62nd minute for a 5-1 lead before Rodak needlessly tugged Tom Lawrence's foot and Waghorn completed his hat-trick and the rout from the spot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Joe Newell's chip on to the bar just before the penalty was a rare moment of second-half Rotherham danger.

At least the Millers will be strengthened for next week's home test against Nottingham Forest by the returns of Will Vaulks and Joe Mattock (bans), Michael Smith (illness) and Clark Robertson (injury).

They must focus on that game and quickly put the events of this one behind them.

Derby (4-3-3): Kelle Roos; Jayden Bogle, Richard Keogh, Fikayo Tomori, Scott Malone; Mason Mount, Bradley Johnson, Duane Holmes; Harry Wilson, Martyn Waghorn, Tom Lawrence. Unused: Scott Carson, Andre Wisdom, Craig Bryson, Tom Huddlestone.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Subs: Mason Bennett (for Mount, 76), Ashley Cole (for Malone, 76), Jack Marriott (for Waghorn, 81).

Rotherham (4-4-1-1): Marek Rodak; Zak Vyner, Michael Ihiekwe, Richard Wood, Billy Jones; Jon Taylor, Ben Wiles, Semi Ajayi, Joe Newell; Ryan Williams; Jerry Yates. Unused: Lewis Price, Matt Palmer, Michael Smith, Joshua Kayode.

Subs: Matt Crooks (for Wiles, H-T), Richie Towell (for Taylor, H-T), Anthony Forde (for Yates, 78).

Goals: Waghorn 13 (pen)  42, 71 (pen), Johnson 40, Mount 48, Holmes 62 (Derby); Wood 53 (Rotherham).

Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex).

Attendance: 27,003 (1,420).