On-the-whistle report: Coventry City 1 Rotherham United 1

Freddie Ladapo puts the Millers in front. Picture by Trevor PriceFreddie Ladapo puts the Millers in front. Picture by Trevor Price
Freddie Ladapo puts the Millers in front. Picture by Trevor Price
ROTHERHAM United remain top of League One after fighting out a pulsating 1-1 draw with second-placed Coventry City.

Two good teams went at each other in a thrilling contest in the snow at St Andrew's and a point each was a fair result.

Top scorer Freddie Ladapo, recalled to the starting line-up after his exploits off the bench, put Paul Warne's men ahead in the first half with his 16th goal of the season but Coventry hit back early in the second half through Matt Godden.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham's night was soured by an injury to key midfielder Dan Barlaser who had to be carried off.

The clash pitted a Millers side with the best away record in the division against one who have yet to taste defeat in 2020 and both justified their status as promotion contenders.

The visitors had the better of the first half but were second best after the break and survived three late scares.

Ladapo showed his intent to make the most of his opportunity with a smart 21st-minute snap-shot that Marko Marosi kept out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the Millers hot-shot wasn't to be denied and two minutes later he broke he deadlock.

Chiedozie Ogbene's volley had been pushed away for a corner and when Dan Barlaser's delivery came in Marosi, under pressure from Matt Crooks, fumbled. There was Ladapo to pounce from his favourite distance of a yard.

Crooks produced a superb block to thwart Godden soon after but Rotherham were quickly back on the attack and Michael Smith headed over Ben Wiles' cross.

Freddie was firing and the forward almost doubled the visitors' advantage just after the half-hour mark with a stunning turn and shot from the edge of the area that required a brilliant, flying stop from Marosi.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The hosts came into the contest as half-time approached, with Callum O'Hare firing over from close range and Dan Iversen holding on to Godden's glancing header.

They continued in the same vein after the break and the second half was only two minutes old when Coventry levelled, Godden heading home Fankaty Dabo's cross.

Rotherham were hit by a savage blow on 70 minutes when Barlaser, the man behind so much of their good work and all of their set-pieces in recent weeks, was stretchered off.

Coventry went close in the closing stage when Liam Kelly fired a free-kick wide and then tried his luck from distance.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Godden was even closer with a stoppage-time header but the Millers held out for a scoreline they would have taken before kick-off.

Coventry (3-4-1-2): Mark Marosi; Michael Rose, Kyle McFadzean, Dom Hyam; Fankaty Dabo, Liam Kelly, Liam Walsh, Sam McCallum (Ryan Giles 87); Callum O'Hare; Max Biamou (Amadou Bakayoko 63), Matt Godden. Subs not used: Ben Wilson, Jamie Allen, Josh Pask, Zain Westbrooke, Jordan Shipley.

Rotherham (4-4-2): Daniel Iversen; Matt Olosunde, Michael Ihiekwe, Richard Wood, Joe Mattock; Chiedozie Ogbene, Matt Crooks (Jamie Lindsay 87), Dan Barlaser (Shaun MacDonald 70), Ben Wiles (Hakeeb Adelakun 62); Freddie Ladapo, Michael Smith. Subs not used: Lewis Price, Adam Thompson, Josh Koroma, Kyle Vassell.

Goals: Ladapo 23 (Rotherham); Godden 47 (Coventry).

Referee: Chris Pollard (Suffolk).

Attendance: 8,990 (1,113).