Millers earn draw in capital

ROTHERHAM United secured their second point of the season after a 1-1 draw away at Charlton Athletic.

The Millers took the lead when Farrend Rawson struck from a Joe Newell corner seven minutes before the break, only for Patrick Bauer to level the score just after the hour.

Manager Steve Evans – who played down speculation linking him to Peterborough United last week – gave debuts to Norwich pair Tony Andreu and Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe and Lee Camp in goal, while also handing a second debut to Rawson.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Charlton got off to the better start with Jordan Cousins testing new stopper Lee Camp twice in the opening minutes, the second effort had the Millers’ number one at full stretch to tip over the bar.

Norwich loanee Odjidja-Ofoe showed his ability after half an hour, skipping past two Charlton players and cutting in from the left, only to drag his shot wide of the post.

The deadlock was broken in the 38th minute though when Rawson met Newell’s corner at the back post to bundle over the line.

The second half was short of chances until Andreu had a point blank header from five yards palmed away by Nick Pope in the Charlton goal on the hour.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The home side found the equaliser just six minutes later when substitute Simon Makienok fed from the left for Patrick Bauer to stab home from close range.

Both sides went close through spectacular long range efforts as the game became more stretched.

First Tony Watt took aim for Charlton from 25 yards shortly after the equaliser to force Camp into a good save low down to his right.

Then, 10 minutes later, Millers substitute Chris Maguire hit one from a similar distance that had Pope at full stretch to palm away.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Steve Evans’ men travel to Brighton on Tuesday night (7.45) while all the action from today’s game will be in The Match on Monday.

Millers: Camp; Buxton, Rawson, Collins, Mattock; Frecklington (Green 74), Smallwood, Newell, Odjidja-Ofoe, Andreu (Maguire 71), Clarke-Harris (Derbyshire 79).

Unused subs: Collin, Halford, Ledesma, D Ward.

Charlton: Pope, Solly, Diarra, Bauer, Fox, Gudmundsson, Ba (Bergdich 79), Kashi, Cousins, Watt, Vetokele (Makienok 63).

Unused subs: Mitov, Sarr, Jackson, Kennedy, Ahearne-Grant.

Referee: Keith Stroud.


Attendance: 15,220 (501 away)