Millers confirm they mean business in the Championship ... on-the-whistle report: Watford 1 Rotherham United 1

Ollie Rathbone in first-half action at Watford. Picture by Jim BrailsfordOllie Rathbone in first-half action at Watford. Picture by Jim Brailsford
Ollie Rathbone in first-half action at Watford. Picture by Jim Brailsford
RESURGENT Rotherham United underlined their Championship turnaround by taking a point at high-flying Watford this afternoon.

For the second week in succession they were facing third-placed opposition and they were equal to the task at Vicarage Road.

Following on from last Saturday's 4-0 home drubbing of Blackburn Rovers that ended a nine-game winless streak, they were a match for the Hornets and could even have come away with a victory.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They slipped a place in the table, to 20th, but the performance and the result were further signs that the Millers have what it takes to stay in this division.

After a quiet start from both sides, Rotherham had a let-off in the ninth minute when Mario Gaspar ran on to Ismaila Sarr's dinked ball and his volley on the turn hit the post.

Seven minutes later, Dan Barlaser let fly at the other end after Leo Hjelde's shot had been blocked and brought a full-stretch save from Daniel Bachmann.

The Millers were attempting to end a run of nine matches without a win against the Hornets - a record dating back to 2003 - and were doing just as much attacking as the home side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

New boy Tariqe Fosu, whose loan arrival was announced the day before the match, had been handed an instant start and was looking threatening on the left wing.

On 20 minutes, he cut inside and an unleashed a shot that was heading for the top corner until Bachman's spectacular intervention.

No matter. Shane Ferguson was on hand to drive in the goalkeeper's parry and put the visitors ahead.

Vakoun Bayo's volley from the edge of the area flew just over the bar as the Hornets tried to respond but all the noise was coming from the away end as Rotherham kept hold of their advantage.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Referee David Webb stayed strong in the face of repeated Watford appeals for penalties and handballs and the Millers, scrapping for everything and showing flashes of quality at times, led at the break.

Striker Conor Washington had stayed at home to be with his wife, who is due to give birth to the couple's second child, so Chiedozie Ogbene moved from the flank into a central attacking role.

Rotherham were short of forward options on the bench where centre-half Grant Hall was making a welcome return after recovering from a hamstring tear.

Matt Taylor's men survived a scare three minutes into the second half when Matheus Martins' shot rattled the bar

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, an equaliser wasn't long in coming as a loose pass from Leo Hjelde - virtually blemish-free up to that point - allowed Joao Ferreira the opportunity to run in on goal and beat Viktor Johansson with a low effort.

The Millers keeper might have done better with the goal and he redeemed himself with a sharp save from Gaspar during a spell of heavy Hornets pressure.

Rotherham weren't for succumbing, though, and they forced their way back into the contest as it reached its closing stages.

Fosu was enjoying an excellent debut but he spurned a golden opportunity in the 74th-minute, shooting straight at Bachmann from close range when Cohen Bramall's low cross had left him with the goal at his mercy.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With five minutes to go, Johansson thwarted Sarr and the Millers saw out the match to claim a result that they fully deserved.

Watford (4-2-3-1): Daniel Bachmann; Joao Ferreira, Francisco Sierralta, Craig Cathcart, James Morris (Hassane Kamara H-T); Mario Gaspar, Hamza Choudhury; Ismaila Sarr, Ismael Kone (Yaser Asprilla 64), Matheus Martins (Michael Adu-Poku 79); Vakoun Bayo (Tobi Adeyemo 73). Subs not used: Maduka Okoye, William Troost-Ekong, Leandro Bacuna.

Rotherham (4-3-3): Viktor Johansson; Lee Peltier, Sean Morrison, Cameron Humphreys, Leo Hjelde; Hakeem Odoffin, Dan Barlaser, Ollie Rathbone; Shane Ferguson (Cohen Bramall 64), Chiedozie Ogbene, Tariq Fosu. Subs not used: Robbie Hemfrey, Wes Harding, Grant Hall, Richard Wood, Jamie Lindsay, Peter Kioso.

Goals: Ferguson 20 (Rotherham); Ferreira 53 (Watford).

Referee: David Webb (Lancashire).

Attendance: 18,911.