MATCH REPORT:Ten-man Millers lose at Bristol Rovers

Kieffer Moore battles for the ball at Bristol. PIC: Trevor PriceKieffer Moore battles for the ball at Bristol. PIC: Trevor Price
Kieffer Moore battles for the ball at Bristol. PIC: Trevor Price
ROTHERHAM United slipped to a third consecutive league defeat at Bristol Rovers after surrendering the lead and ending the match with ten men.

Leading through Ryan Williams’ strike soon after half time, old defensive frailties resurfaced as they conceded twice in 11 minutes to lose 2-1. A straight red card for top scorer Kieffer Moore capped a miserable day.

There was little doubt the players put in a shift for Paul Warne but a defeat to a side which had lost nine out of its last ten games will not inspire confidence.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was little quality or composure on display in the first half from two teams struggling for form.

The Millers should shave been punished on 16 minutes when Billy Boden, left completely unmarked, put a header over from six yards.

There was a blow when Darren Potter limped off injured not long after but his replacement Will Vaulks could have made an instant impact, only to shoot high and wide when the ball broke for him on the edge of the penalty area.

The only chance of note in a fairly dire first 45 saw Liam Sercombe put a header wide, with the Millers again not able to cut out the supply line from out wide. They failed to plant a target on shot in the first period.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

That statistic was changed in fine style 11 minutes into the second half. Joe Newell broke down the left and zipped across a fine diagonal ball. It dropped for Williams and after an initial stumble, he composed himself to drill into the far bottom corner.

It provided the Millers with a platform but it was lost eight minutes later when Ellis Harrison nipped to equalise amidst confusion from a corner.

The goal gave the home side some impetus and after Bodin’s dipping volley nearly dropped in, they struck again on 75 minutes when Sercombe was allowed space in the space to slip the ball past the exposed Rodak.

The frustration in the Rotherham ranks was evident four minutes later when Moore got involved in an altercation with Lee Brown. The Rovers man went to ground and Moore was dismissed.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Michael Ihiekwe should have levelled late on when he glanced a header wide after being left free in the box b ut it was all too little, too late.

Bristol Rovers: Smith, Leadbitter, Lockyer, Sweeney, Brown, Partinington (Lines 62), Sinclair, Clarke (Gaffney 62), Bodin, Sercombe, Harrison

Millers: Rodak; Cummings (Clarke-Harris 85), Ajayi, Ihiekwe, Mattock; Williams, Potter (Vaulks 22), Frecklington, Newell; Ball (Yates 85) Moore

Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Attendance:  7,531 (226 visitors)