MATCH REPORT: Towell wraps it up as Millers secure back-to-back wins

A STUNNING strike from new boy Richie Towell meant Rotherham United broke their second unwanted record in six days thanks to a 3-2 victory over Bury.

Deadline day signing Towell capitalised on poor defending from Bury and he ran on to the ball and struck home a fantastic half-volley to secure the Millers' first back-to-back victories in 17-months - just a week after securing their first away win for the same period of time.

It was no more than the hosts deserved but they were almost left to rue missed chances as Bury twice pegged them back – with both their equalisers coming just after the Millers wasted opportunities.

The Millers took the lead on 20 minutes when Kieffer Moore expertly brought a Will Vaulks ball down before slotting past Joe Murphy to net his fifth of the season.

The game turned into more of a scrappy affair after the Millers opener as Bury were finally able to get hold of the ball.

Jon Taylor had a glorious chance to double the Millers’ lead just after the half-hour mark. The winger broke through the back four and rounded Murphy but fired his effort into the side netting.

And the visitors made them pay just seconds later as Jermaine Beckford headed home the equaliser from close-range.

New boy Richie Towell was given his home debut a little sooner than he might have thought when Shaun Cummings was forced off injured after 39 minutes. Towell came on in the middle of the park and Vaulks reverted to right back.

Bury manager Lee Clark was apparently sent to the stands at half-time and it was up to assistant Alan Thompson to take to the away dugout for the second half.

Rotherham enjoyed the better start to the second 45 minutes with wingers Ryan Williams and Taylor troubling The Shakers' full-backs.

And they were to regain their lead on 54 minutes when the Millers capitalised on some poor defending from Bury.

Centre back Alex Whitmore was caught flat-footed and Taylor picked the ball up, crossed to the back post and Moore rose well to head home.

The Millers were forced to play with ten men for almost ten minutes when the Ipswich loanee was forced off for treatment but he returned to a hero’s welcome from the New York faithful.

Paul Warne’s side should have doubled their lead when Frecklington picked the ball up after more suspect Bury defending but he was unable to pick out any of his team-mates who joined the attack.

And it was a case of déjà-vu for the Millers when just moments later Bury defender Nathan Cameron headed home his side’s second equaliser from close range.

Goalscorer Cameron then returned to his more usual when he blocked an effort from Millers’ substitute Antony Forde.

But it was to be new boy Towell, who joined from Brighton last week, who was to have the final say.

A weak defensive header from a Bury defender saw the ball fall appetisingly on the edge of the ball and he fired home a stunning half-volley, and make it two wins out of two for the first time since April 2016.

Millers: Rodak 6, Cummings 6 (Towell 8 40), Wood 7, Ihiekwe 7,Purrington 5, Williams 6 (Forde 75), Potter 6, Frecklington (Ball 5) 6, Vaulks 6, Taylor 7, Moore 9.

Subs not used: O’Donnell, Mattock, Ball, Yates, Newell.

Bury: Murphy, Williams (Dobre 54), Cameron, Whitmore, Leigh, Edwards, Ince, Laurent, Bunn, Lowe (Smith 60), Beckford.

Subs not used: Fasan, Maguire, Reilly, Aldred, Cooney.

Att: 7,848 (574 away)

Related topics: