Josh Kayode milestone and Angus MacDonald back ... on-the-whistle report as Millers go nine points clear: AFC Wimbledon 0 Rotherham United 1

Eyes on the ball for Dan Barlaser in the first half at Wimbledon. Picture by Jim BrailsfordEyes on the ball for Dan Barlaser in the first half at Wimbledon. Picture by Jim Brailsford
Eyes on the ball for Dan Barlaser in the first half at Wimbledon. Picture by Jim Brailsford

JOSH Kayode's first league goal for Rotherham United saw the Millers extend their lead at the top of the table to nine points tonight.

The young centre-forward climbed off the bench in the second half and struck almost immediately at AFC Wimbledon as the visitors pushed further ahead of their League One promotion rivals.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Repuplic of Ireland under-21 international had scored in the EFL Trophy before never before in third-tier combat for the club.

The match also saw the long-awaited return of Angus MacDonald who came on as a late sub for his first appearance since being laid low in the summer.

Rotherham deserved their fifth successive league victory and head into Sunday's derby clash with Sheffield Wednesday on a high.

The early pressure came from them and Jack Rudoni had to clear off the line as Joe Mattock directed Shane Ferguson's corner towards goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Soon after, Cheye Alexander shot hard for the home side but too close to Josh Vickers to bother the Millers goalkeeper.

Both teams were keen to attack and Will Grigg thought he'd opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour with a header from another Ferguson delivery only to see the assistant referee's flag go up for offside.

Wimbledon were showing flashes of quality on both flanks but Rotherham were troubling them every time they went forward. However, the contest at the Dons' compact new home, the Cherry Red Records Stadium, remained goalless.

More than 500 Millers fans had made the journey to South-west London and were making themselves heard on a mild night in the capital.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After their bright start, the visitors stuttered as half-time approached and went in at the break having failed to seriously test keeper Nik Tzanev.

Ollie Rathbone was missing from procedings after tweaking his back in training and his place in midfield went to Jamie Lindsay.

Also absent, with a hamstring niggle, was Mickel Miller so Ferguson started again on the left flank.

Welcome sights on the bench were the faces of new boy Georgie Kelly, as the striker made the squad for the first time, and centre-half MacDonald.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham shoud have gone in front eight minutes into the second half when Will Grigg broke down the left and squared the ball to Michael Smith.

The Millers' top scorer looked to have a tap-in but could only hit Tzanev and a golden opportunity went begging.

Paul Warne's men were coming on strong and, after Grigg had departed injured, Ben Wiles bent a 59th-minute effort just the wrong side of the post.

Grigg's replacement was Kayode and the 21-year-old wasted no time in making his mark, sliding in five minutes after his introduction to convert Chiedozie Ogbene's low cross.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wes Harding's goalbound header was deflected on to the crossbar and Kayode flashed one over as Rotherham took a grip on the game.

Ogbene's shot was blocked and Wiles stung Tzanev's palms on the turn before MacDonald ran on to the pitch to a standing ovation from the away faithful.

Rotherham saw out the contest without fuss to stay on the promotion march. They mean business.

Rotherham (3-5-2): Josh Vickers; Wes Harding, Michael Ihiekwe, Joe Mattock (Angus MacDonald 80); Chiedozie Ogbene, Jamie Lindsay (Hakeem Odoffin 90+1), Dan Barlaser, Ben Wiles, Shane Ferguson; Michael Smith, Will Grigg (Josh Kayode 55). Subs not used: Viktor Johansson, Tolaj Bola, Freddie Ladapo, Georgie Kelly.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wimbledon (3-4-3): Nik Tzanev; Paul Kalambayi, Ben Heneghan, Daniel Csoka (Will Nightingale H-T); Cheye Alexander, Anthony Hartigan, George Marsh, Nesta Guinness-Walker; Jack Rudoni (Luke McCormick 76), Sam Cosgrove, Ayoub Assal (Terry Ablade 71). Subs not used: Nathan Broom, Paul Osew, Ethan Chislett, Dapo Mebude.

Goals: Kayode 60 (Rotherham).

Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey).

Attendance: 6,387 (551).