Four unbeaten for the Millers ... on-the-whistle report: QPR 1 Rotherham United 1

Conor Washington in action for the Millers against QPR. Picture by Jim BrailsfordConor Washington in action for the Millers against QPR. Picture by Jim Brailsford
Conor Washington in action for the Millers against QPR. Picture by Jim Brailsford
ROTHERHAM United pulled off another second-half survival act to remain unbeaten in their Championship campaign.

Havig soaked up the pressure at Preston North End in midweek to take a share of the spoils, they did the same at QPR this afternoon to stand 12th in the table.

Their opening four league encounters have bought three draws and a win, which is a hugely encouraging start to their bid to establish themselves in the second tier following last term's promotion.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Paul Warne's men were worthy of their point, earned by Chiedozie Ogbene's fourth goal of the campaign, as they kept Rangers at bay with an organised, committed display.

In the sixth minute, Cameron Humphreys sent Conor Washington racing down the left against his former club.

The striker delivered a teasing low ball across goal but there was no yellow shirt there waiting to convert.

QPR's first opening came on the quarter-hour mark when dangerman Ilias Chair set up Lyndon Dikes at the back post where a combination of a heavy touch and the presence of Humphreys was enough to avert the danger.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On a warm day in West London, the travelling Millers contingent were making themselves heard, although their numbers were much reduced by the lack of train services into and out of the capital caused by the railworkers' strike.

Talking of strikes, one duly arrived on 33 minutes as Ogbene put the visitors in front following a free-kick into the box from Shane Ferguson.

Having won the set-piece with his pace and persistence, the attacker was on hand to steer the ball into the next as it bobbled around the area when QPR had failed to deal with Humphreys' initial contact.

Ben Wiles fired narrowly wide as Rotherham enjoyed a spell on top but, as half-time approached, the home team capitalised on a poor pass out of defence from the otherwise impressive Humphreys to equalise.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The ball came back into the box and Chris Willock was on hand to slip it beyond Viktor Johansson.

It was a real shame for the the Millers as the Loftus Road crowd had just started to vent their frustration and an interval lead against an under-pressure side would have made proceedings very interesting.

Seconds before the break, Johansson saved crucially from Dikes to keep the scores level.

Rotherham had made three changes to the team that had battled so hard for a point at Preston North End in midweek.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wing-back Wes Harding was rested and he dropped to the bench, as did Jamie Lindsay and Cohen Bramall, with Richard Wood, Ollie Rathbone and Shane Ferguson coming into the starting line-up.

Peltier moved from centre-half to wing-back as skipper Wood returned to the heart of the rearguard.

The Millers were being forced to defend in the second half and Johansson had to get down quickly to hold on to a low effort from Ethan Laird.

Chair had a sight of goal but couldn't take his chance and substitute Sinclair Armstrong shot straight at Johansson as the vistors held firm and the encounter moved into its final quarter.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

QPR remained the team doing most of the attacking yet there was nothing that unduly troubled Rotherham late on as they claimed another excellent away draw.

QPR (3-2-4-1): Seny Dieng; Rob Dickie, Jimmy Dunne, Kenneth Paal; Stefan Johansen (Andre Dozzell 56), Sam Field; Ethan Laird, Tyler Roberts (Albert Adomah 70), Ilias Chair, Chris Willock (Olamide Shodipo 82); Lyndon Dykes (Sinclair Armstrong 70). Subs not used: Jordan Archer, Osman Kakay, Niko Hamalainen.

Rotherham (3-5-2): Viktor Johansson; Grant Hall, Richard Wood, Cameron Humphreys; Lee Peltier (Wes Harding 56), Ben Wiles, Dan Barlaser (Jamie Lindsay 86), Ollie Rathbone (Scott High 65), Shane Ferguson (Cohen Bramall 56); Chiedozie Ogbene, Conor Washington (Georgie Kelly 65). Subs not used: Josh Vickers, Tom Eaves.

Goals: Ogbene 33 (Rotherham); Willock 43 (QPR).

Referee: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire).

Attendance: 12,230 (413).