Derby defeat on an evening of concern for Millers ... on-the-whistle report: Huddersfield Town 2 Rotherham United 0

Jamie McCart on his first Championship start for Rotherham. Picture by Kerrie BeddowsJamie McCart on his first Championship start for Rotherham. Picture by Kerrie Beddows
Jamie McCart on his first Championship start for Rotherham. Picture by Kerrie Beddows
ROTHERHAM United succumbed to basement side Huddersfield Town on a grim night that cast doubt over their ability to survive in the Championship this season.

The Millers were facing a team that began the contest in bottom spot but were second best all evening and could have lost by a heavier margin in the Yorkshire derby.

They lacked direction and appetite as they dropped to 20th place and extended a worrying run to one win in their last 11 games.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

New manager Matt Taylor has a crucial January transfer window ahead of him as he looks to turn around his club's slide.

Rotherham were the first team to have an attempt on target as Ollie Rathbone's pass released Tom Eaves whose seventh-minute shot lacked power and allowed Lee Nicholls to make an easy save.

Sadly, that would turn out to be pretty much the striker's sole contribution. He had to leave the pitch soon afterwards, becoming the latest name on the Millers' lengthening injury list.

With the home side beginning to exert some pressure, Duane Holmes headed over at the end housing a sold-out away following at the John Smith's Stadium.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham, without influential midfielder Ben Wiles who is facing surgery to repair his damaged ankle, were struggling to make any attacking headway on a cold night in West Yorkshire.

They had been defending resolutely but found themselves behind just after the half-hour mark when Holmes' quick feet created an opening and the Terriers man fired in from the edge of the box with the help of a post.

There was little response from the visitors who were being outplayed and outfought.

Jordan Rhodes just failed to connect with a Jack Rudoni cross and double Huddersfield's lead as the Millers continued to lack any trust. They had possession at times but there was no end product.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rotherham had handed a first league start to summer signing Jamie McCart who was finally given the nod at centre-half after making just six substitute appearances in five months.

Wing-back Peter Kioso, fit again after six weeks out with an ankle, was also in the team.

Skipper Richard Wood dropped to the bench to make way for McCart.

Two minutes after the break, Rudoni was the next Terrier to just miss his connection right in front of goal as Rhodes' cross was an inch too high for him.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Huddersfield were playing their part in keeping the Millers in it and Rhodes spurned a golden opportunity when he could only direct the ball straight at keeper Viktor Johansson when he had all the net to aim at.

The same player did rather better on 56 minutes, rifling an 18-yarder into the bottom corner to leave Rotherham facing a long, difficult second half.

Chiedozie Ogbene's shot soon after summed up the Millers' display: too tame and without conviction.

Jamie Lindsay sliced an attempt over the bar and Hakeem Odoffin headed over as Town became content to hang on to their advantage.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was a smattering of boos from the travelling fans at the final whistle.

Huddersfield (3-4-2-1): Lee Nicholls; Tom Lees, Michal Helik, Will Boyle; Kaine Kesler-Hayden, Jonathan Hogg, David Kasumu (Etienne Camara 85), Josh Ruffels; Josh Rudoni (Sorba Thomas 61), Duane Holmes (Connor Mahoney 85); Jordan Rhodes (Tyreece Simpson 74). Subs not used: Nicholas Bilokapic, Brodie Spencer, Loick Ayina.

Rotherham (3-5-2): Viktor Johansson; Wes Harding, Cameron Humphreys, Jamie McCart (Brooke Norton-Cuffy 76); Peter Kioso (Shane Ferguson 63), Jamie Lindsay (Hakeem Odoffin 76), Dan Barlaser, Ollie Rathbone, Cohen Bramall; Tom Eaves (Conor Washington 19), Chiedozie Ogbene. Subs not used: Robbie Hemfrey, Richard Wood, Tolaji Bola.

Goals: Holmes 31, Rhodes 56 (Huddersfield).

Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire).