Decision pending .... Rotherham United boss Paul Warne on the possibility of ending Curtis Tilt's Wigan Athletic loan spell

ROTHERHAM United boss Paul Warne has ruled out recalling Curtis Tilt just to spite League One promotion rivals Wigan Athletic.
Curtis TiltCurtis Tilt
Curtis Tilt

The centre-half is on loan at the Latics who are only one spot below the second-placed Millers in the race for a Championship berth next season.

Rotherham could call Tilt back to AESSEAL New York Stadium during the New Year transfer window but the closeness of the two clubs in the rankings will have no bearing on Warne's thinking.

"From January 1 we can choose to do what we think is right for our club," the manager said.

"I know there would be some argument for bringing back a player who is doing really well at a promotion competitor of ours. I would never do that unless it was to the benefit of my club to have him here.

"I wouldn't bring him back if I there was no intention from me to play him here. I don't see the point in bringing him back and paying his wages and never playing him just to mess up Wigan.

"I could mess up Wigan but then I've got to try to somehow mess up Sunderland, Oxford United and everyone else near the top."

Warne's priority is to prepare his squad for tomorrow's home clash with Bolton Wanderers before he fully turns his attention to the 30-year-old loanee's situation.

The defender, a £100,000 signing from Blackpool in January 2020, has made only one appearance during his injury-hit spell with Rotherham and is in his third temporary stint with Wigan where he is playing regularly.

Without him, the Millers have conceded fewer goals than any other side in the third tier.

Their options are recalling Tilt, leaving him at the DW Stadium for the rest of the season or selling him. The Latics are believed to be interested in a permanent deal.

Talking to the Advertiser on Thursday afternoon, Warne added: "I've spoken about it again to the recruitment team today and I spoke to the chairman about it yesterday.

"I'll get the game out the way this weekend and then make my decision on whether we pull him back or not."