Memories of Hickleton prisoner of war camp wanted
Hickleton Hall lies close to Goldthorpe and housed a camp for Italian and German prisoners of war, later with displaced persons from the Ukraine and Poland. The camp was first built in 1941 and finally closed in 1948. There are still archaeological remains of the camp hut bases at the site which will be fully investigated in due course.
At the present time we are seeking people with wartime memories of the camp or the prisoners housed there. So far we have met a lady who has described Italian POWs attending her house on Sundays for afternoon tea!
It is our intention to retain and archive these memories for access by the wider public with full credit being given to the individual contributor.
If readers have any memories or artefacts that they would like to bring forward to help this community project can we please ask them to get in touch via any of the contact details below.
Alex Sotheran, archaeological manager Elmet Archaeological Services Ltd Office, 3 Wath Trinity Community Hall, Chapel Street, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Rotherham, S63 7RF.