Woman and grandchildren flee fire

By Tom Sharpe | 08/04/2010 0 comments

Woman and grandchildren flee fire

A GRANDMOTHER who discarded a cigarette in a waste basket was forced to rush her two grandchildren out of her home after it triggered a fire.

Firefighters from Rotherham Fire Station fought the fire on Moorgate Lane, Moorgate, after fire destroyed the bin and spread to a bedroom carpet in the property shortly after 10.30pm on Tuesday.

The woman and the  children got out of the property unhurt.

A fire service spokesman said that firefighters spent around half an hour tackling the blaze, adding: “The owner of the property had discarded a cigarette into the waste paper bin and that had triggered a quite sizeable fire.

“There was considerable damage to the carpet and the house was smoke-logged but, fortunately, nobody was injured in the incident.”

Tags


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.


Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/