A DISTRAUGHT wife has appealed for information to find her husband’s attackers after he was beaten unconscious in the street.
Father-of-two Andrew Pearson (44) suffered a fractured eye socket and skull and other facial injuries and was in hospital for nearly two weeks after he was attacked while walking home from Kilnhurst Working Men’s Club.
Wife Rachael (below with Andrew) is appealing for information to help find the attackers and said their family life had been changed forever.
“It is just the most horrendous thing imaginable,” said Rachael. “I want to know who has done this.
“I just can’t imagine how somebody could hurt someone like this. He can’t walk, he can’t do much to be honest — it’s completely changed our lives.”
The attack happened at just after 10pm on December 21 — known as ‘Mad Friday’ — after Andrew had finished work for Christmas.
Rachael (36) said she had been at home when a neighbour had called to tell her Andrew had been found badly injured on nearby Wheatley Road
Rachael rushed to the scene — near the children’s play area known as the sand park — where Andrew was lying on his back in the middle of the road being treated by paramedics.
“He was seriously injured,” she said.
“His eyes were badly swollen and cut open. There was a big hole in his cheek and big laceration to his face. I was horrified.
“At first I thought he had fallen, but surgeons said there was no way his injuries could have been caused by a fall.
“They said his eye and eye socket were completely shattered and his eyeball had to be sewed up.”
It’s thought a flat or metal object had been used to hit him with some force, she said, but Andrew, who also suffered a fractured skull, had no memory of the attack.
The father was kept in hospital over Christmas and asked for son Jake (4) not to visit him due to his horrific injuries.
“Jake adores his dad to bits, but Andrew didn’t want him to see him as he’s only young,” she said.
Daughter Jessica (12) visited her dad to try and lift his spirits, a visit Rachael said had been “heartbreaking” for the youngster.
Doctors told Andrew it was unlikely he would see out of his right eye again after undergoing six hours of surgery.
He has more to come, but his eye could be removed if not successful and it’s unlikely he will return to work on the railways.
“He’s up and down — we’ve got a long road ahead,” said Rachael.
“I’m just concentrating on him now, but I want justice and these people need to be caught.”
She urged anyone with information or CCTV footage to contact police 101 quoting incident number 583 of December 22.
A force spokeswoman it was not known whether it was a targeted attack and officers were unsure how many people were involved.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.