THE DETECTIVE who led the investigation into the murder of Jarvin Blake said that the combined 72-year jail term handed down to his four killers sends a strong message that knife crime will not be tolerated.
Detective Chief Inspector Steve Handley, the senior investigating officer, led the 13-month inquiry in to Mr Blake’s death.
Caine Gray (28), of Treetown Crescent, Treeton, was part of a gang of four men who killed Jarvin Blake (22) in Burngreave in March 2018. The dad-of-three was fatally stabbed in the chest.
They were sentenced to a total of 72 years behind bars at Sheffield Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday), with Gray being given a life sentence with a minimum term of 19 years.
Reacting to the sentence, Det Chief Insp Handley said: "My thoughts are first and foremost with Mr Blake’s family and I hope they feel some justice in knowing that these men will be behind bars for a very long time.
“Over the course of the last 13 months, we have worked incredibly hard to get this case to court to provide justice for Mr Blake’s family and friends.
“With none of the four men ever admitting who was responsible for delivering the stab wound which ultimately killed Mr Blake, we’ve worked hard to piece together what happened to him and I’m pleased that those responsible have now been handed lengthy sentences.”
Just after 3.05pm on March 8 last year, Mr Blake and his friend were attacked on Brackley Street after Foster’s car pulled up, with the occupants getting out.
Mr Blake and his friend, clearly recognising the men, then started to run before they were attacked.
Det Chief Insp Handley continued: “Through extensive CCTV, telecoms and analytical work we were able to piece together a timeline of the men’s movements and prove they were in the Brackley Street area when Mr Blake was killed.
“Immediately after, the men attempted to conceal their movements and cover their tracks, denying their involvement in the offence until we put the evidence we had to them.
“These four men will ultimately spend a very long time behind bars. They have not only taken the life of Mr Blake, leaving his three young children to grow up without a father, but they have also ruined their own lives and the lives of their families over what was most likely a disagreement in relation to drug supply.
“They are strong sentences and they reflect the serious nature of the crime that has been committed and hopefully send a strong message out to the community that knife crime will not be tolerated, will be investigated thoroughly, will be prosecuted, and that people will go to prison for lengthy sentences.”
Chief Superintendent Una Jennings, force lead for armed criminality, said: “This was an absolutely tragic incident which has robbed three young children of a life with their dad.
“Not only that, but these four young men have ruined their own lives, and will now spend the majority behind bars.
“My thoughts are today with Mr Blake’s loved ones, who had him taken away in such senseless violence.
“Please, if you know anyone who carries a knife, or who is involved in such criminality, speak to someone. We need to stop this from happening, spare another family of such tragedy and keep our communities safe.”
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.