"Two-month long gas leak made us ill", claims council house mum

By Antony Clay | 10/09/2018

'Two-month long gas leak made us ill', claims council house mum
Margaret Dunn

A WOMAN has claimed a two month-long gas leak in her home following council rebuilding work made her family sick.

Margaret Dunn (45), of Alpha Road, East Dene, said it began after work by Rotherham Borough Council following a fire at the property in January.

The council said the house had been checked and signed off as safe in May.

But leaks were discovered in a boiler and from a pipe punctured by a screw two months later.

Mrs Dunn said the leak was found on July 18 when moving a bed in son Michael’s room - but added that the family had been aware of an odd smell for some time.

Mrs Dunn said: “We had all been feeling ill. As soon as we found the gas leak, we all went to hospital and had check-ups. We were suffering from headaches and tiredness and nausea all the time.”

Mrs Dunn said how the pipe became punctured was a mystery as she had not laid any floorboards in the room. She added: “The council put the carpet down.”

The house was repaired after a fire started accidentally in January due to an electrical fault. The family were moved out while repairs took place.
Mrs Dunn said that all the other people in the house during the period of the leak - her daughter Tia Scott (11), son Michael Dunn (22) and his girlfriend Kiera Gwynn (17) - had undergone blood tests and were not found to be permanently injured.

A council spokesman confirmed that the gas supply had been capped once the leak was discovered, and the leak - caused by a screw from chipboard flooring piercing a gas pipe - was repaired the following day.
The spokeswoman added that there was no indication when the gas pipe was damaged.

Tom Bell, the council’s assistant director for housing, said: “The health and safety of our tenants is a priority. 

“As soon as we were notified of a possible gas leak we took immediate action which resolved the issue, and retested the system to ensure it was left safe.

“If carbon monoxide poisoning occurs, the hospital has a duty to report all cases to the Health and Safety Executive who would contact the council for further investigation.  

“We have not received a notification in this instance.”


The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.


Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/