Tony Stewart's transfer stance on Freddie Ladapo, contracts update, Paul Warne on January ins and outs and Curtis Tilt could be heading back to the Millers ... back-page Rotherham United stories from this week's Advertiser

Tony Stewart's transfer stance on Freddie Ladapo, contracts update, Paul Warne on January ins and outs and Curtis Tilt could be heading back to the Millers ... back-page Rotherham United stories from this week's Advertiser

By Paul Davis | 12/01/2022

Tony Stewart's transfer stance on Freddie Ladapo, contracts update, Paul Warne on January ins and outs and Curtis Tilt could be heading back to the Millers ... back-page Rotherham United stories from this week's Advertiser
Freddie Ladapo

 

CHAIRMAN Tony Stewart has pledged that wantaway striker Freddie Ladapo won’t be allowed to leave Rotherham United on the cheap.

The club’s record signing went public with his transfer request last week and the League One Millers will demand a substantial fee for a player who cost them £400,000 plus significant add-ons when they signed him from Plymouth Argyle in 2019.

They are in a strong bargaining position because they hold the option to extend his contract by 12 months when it expires in the summer which means they don’t have to sell for a discount figure now.

“I like to think we have a bit of business acumen at this club,” owner Stewart said. “I can’t remember the last time I got a freebie or a cheap deal on a striker. I don’t think those deals exist.

“We certainly won’t be giving one out.”

Ladapo has hit the target 12 times this season and was showing the best form of his Rotherham career before asking for a move.

In his first season he scored 17 goals as the Millers went up from the third tier and another nine came in the Championship last term.

“Freddie has been showing he’s a contender in this league and maybe above it,” Stewart said.

“There’s a commercial price on him and we’ll wait to see what comes forward.

“He’s a different player now to when he came here. We’ve developed him and he’s better than he was. He’s showing greater ability now.”

The centre-forward is keen to depart in this month’s transfer window but the bidding for him has yet to begin.

Manager Paul Warne said: “We’ve had no offers. Until there is an offer that reaches the chairman’s valuation of him, Freddie isn’t going anywhere.”

Table-topping Rotherham head to Fleetwood Town on Saturday and are then at home to Lincoln City on Tuesday night.

The Millers will host fellow League One side Cambridge United in the quarter-final of the EFL Trophy  on Tuesday January 25 after the U’s beat Portsmouth in a last-16 clash earlier this week.

***************************

PAUL Warne’s hopes of tying players to new Rotherham United deals this week have been dashed.

The manager (below) had been in contract talks with three of his first-team squad and believed that two of them were close to signing on the dotted line.

That is no longer the case and negotiations have been put on hold until next month.

“I thought we were going to be pretty near on a couple but the sounds I’m getting from the players’ advisors now are that they’d rather wait for the January transfer window to be out of the way,” Warne said.

“I think the agents are hopeful we will sell these players in the window. That won’t happen.

“If it’s the merry dance we have to do, I’ll talk to the players again in February. If the appetite is still there from the club to re-sign them, we’ll try to. At the moment, the agents are in no rush to do it.”

Meanwhile, Warne is anticipating no new arrivals coming through the door at AESSEAL New York Stadium this month as long as he holds on to all of his main men.

“I’ve made bids for no-one and there have been no bids at all for any of our players (except Wigan Athletic loanee Curtis Tilt),” he said.

“If you go back to my interviews in December, I said then I wanted no ins and no outs. That’s still the same.

“I don’t want to lose any of my players and I don’t need any new players if I don’t lose any.

“If we did lose a player for a substantial amount of money I’d be able to flip some of it and bring someone in. Until that time, we’re not bidding on anyone.”

***************************

ROTHERHAM United are ready to recall Curtis Tilt unless Wigan Athletic up their offer to sign the defender on a permanent deal.

The centre-half is in his third loan spell with the Latics who are one of the Millers’ main rivals for League One promotion.

They want to take him away from AESSEAL New York Stadium and have until Saturday to make an increased bid that would persuade Rotherham to sell.

“The clubs are in discussions about Curtis’s future,” manager Paul Warne said. “Wigan have put in an offer that we haven’t accepted.

“If any new bid doesn’t go to the chairman’s valuation then Curtis will get called back. It’s as simple as that really.”

The boss had initially been willing to leave Tilt on loan with Wigan for the rest of the season but that stance has now changed.

The player joined the Millers in a £100,000 deal from Blackpool two years ago. The move hasn’t worked out and he has made only one appearance for Warne’s side.

The 30-year-old is unlikely to be part of Rotherham’s first-team plans unless there is a glut of injuries and would jump at the chance of a full switch to the DW Stadium.

Conceivably, the Millers could recall him and sell him to a side other than the Latics.

“There have been no bids from other clubs that I am aware of,” Warne said. “Curtis has done well for Wigan in two previous loan spells as well as in this one and they’re obviously keen to keep him.

“I don’t know if any other club would have been aware of the fact that he’s possibly available.”

Under the terms of the present loan deal, January 15 is the cut-off point for summoning him back to New York.



Newsletter

Sign up to our weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/