A MUM has raised health and safety concerns after her toddler son broke his arm at a theme park after falling off a bouncy castle into a metal barrier.
Soniya Ahmed said she was “shocked and disappointed” the metal barrier at Gulliver’s Valley had caused an injury to her youngest child, Yousif Nazir.
Doctors told Soniya her son — who was three at the time of the incident — could need further surgery when he is a teenager due to the nature of the “awkward break”.
Gulliver’s has now launched an internal investigation into the incident, which happened just after 4pm last Tuesday.
“Everything happened really quickly,” said the mum-of-three.
“We had been at Gulliver’s Valley throughout the day with a friend and their children.
“It was the last activity of the day when my son came off the bouncy castle too fast and landed with his arms out underneath a metal barrier that was really close to it.
“He didn’t cry but seemed a little out of it, so I took him home.”
Shortly after Soniya arrived at their house in Falding Street, Masbrough, Yousif’s arm swelled up.
She took him to Rotherham Hospital’s A&E where an X-ray showed the toddler had sustained a break above his elbow on his left arm.
Yousif underwent surgery the next morning, which involved putting wires into his arm, and returned home that afternoon.
“I am really disappointed and shocked by this safety mistake,” Soniya said.
“The whole situation has freaked me out and we want to make sure this doesn’t happen to another child — it was a very serious incident.”
Soniya said Yousif had been “really brave” but was conscious of his broken arm and now worried about hurting his other one.
His arm will remain in a pot for at least four weeks but his overall recovery time is still unclear.
Last Wednesday, Soniya’s brother Zaheer Ahmed (37) complained to Gulliver’s about the metal barrier being too close to the bouncy castle.
He also raised further concern after he said he had been able to walk into the theme park on his own without a ticket.
“I went to Gulliver’s Valley to complain and an entertainment manager came to see me and asked me to address my concerns in an email,” said Zaheer.
“It felt a little off that I was able to walk straight in — there was no security at the entrance and no-one stopped me.”
Zaheer said family members had since visited the theme park with their children and had noticed wooden barriers had replaced the metal barriers (pictured, below).
A spokesperson for Gulliver’s Valley said: “As a family business we take the health and wellbeing of our customers extremely seriously and we are conducting internal investigations into these reports.
“Any action found to be required in order to improve the health and safety aspects of our park will of course be undertaken immediately.
“We have built a strong reputation for safeguarding over the last 43 years.
“It is important to note that both of these incidents were reported retrospectively and we are now in contact with Mr Ahmed to address his concerns with him directly.”