A WOMAN has been taken to hospital due to a chemical spill at a Sunnyside supermarket which was caused by an overnight burglary.
The scene was discovered at Sainsbury's on Flanderwell Road at 5.57am today (Thursday), said a force spokeswoman.
Cigarettes were taken and chemicals were disturbed.
Yorkshire Ambulance Service attended and a woman was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.
Firefighters from Maltby, Birley Moor, Parkway and Rotherham stations were called to the scene at 9.42am and left at 12.30pm, a spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said.
Crews wore breathing apparatus and worked with the police to make the area safe and identify the chemical.
The store remained closed and an investigation has been launched, said the police spokeswoman.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.