'Stone age' sex beast forced victim to wear ref's outfit

By Phil Turner | 22/10/2010 0 comments

'Stone age' sex beast forced victim to wear ref's outfit

A “STONE age” rapist has been jailed for a violent attack on the woman who was pregnant with his baby.

Lee Kelsall (29), dragged the 19-year-old woman upstairs to a bedroom and made her dress up in a referee’s uniform, a court heard.

He then asked her to perfrom a sexual act while he filmed her on his mobile phone and made her give oral sex before he raped her.

It was the second time he had raped the woman that evening after earlier throttling her, leading her to believe that she was going to be killed.

Later that evening, Kelsall phoned the police from a lake near Wath and said: “I’ve just raped my missus, now I want to top myself.”

Kelsall, of Bolton-on-Dearne, admitted to the rape, which took place on August 4 this year, when he appeared before Sheffield Crown Court.

Ms Elizabeth Martin, prosecuting, told the court last Thursday that the victim was three months pregnant with Kelsall’s child when the attack took place.

She had only moved in with him a few weeks earlier when they argued after he suspected she was using Facebook and mobile phone texts to chat with another man.

Kelsall went for a walk to calm down but when he returned two hours later, he burst through the side door and smashed up the staircase banister as he followed her upstairs.

He grabbed the petrified woman by the throat and pushed her against a wall, leaving her gasping for air.

She tried to barricade herself in the bedroom but he again grabbed her by the throat lifting her off her feet before throwing her to the floor, Ms Martin said.

The victim tried to flee from the house but he locked her in and dragged her back upstairs by the arm before throttling her on the bed.

He threatened to “kick the baby out of her” and film her bleeding before he stripped and raped her.

The woman later told police: “I thought he was going to kill me.”

Kelsall offered her a hot drink and intimated she could go, but she thought her best way of escaping the ordeal was to stay.

However, they rowed again and he took her upstairs and raped her a second time in the referee’s outfit, holding her wrists and throat with his hands.

Ms Martin said: “She asked him if he was enjoying it, putting her through hell. He just laughed at her as if it was a cheap game.”

The woman said she just “gave in” the second time as she did not think she would come out of the house alive otherwise.

Some time later, Kelsall phoned the police and said he was suffering from paranoia and nobody would listen to him and had been up to his waist in the water trying to kill himself. He said he had “lost it” and wanted to be locked up.
It took the victim three weeks before she could bring herself to give a video interview to police.

Ms Rebecca Stevens, for Kelsall, said that he could not remember what happened and he would take the complainant’s word for whatever happened that night. He was at a loss to explain himself.

He had been treated by his GP for depression and anxiety for the last two years and just a week before the attack had tried to commit suicide. He had suffered a difficult childhood which affected him.

Kelsall was jailed for four years, with Judge Michael Murphy QC knocking a third off his sentence for his guilty plea, the way he reported the matter to police and his genuine remorse.

But the judge told him: “This was completely unacceptable behaviour. It showed what I can only describe as a stone age attitude to women.

“This was not just any woman, she was your partner and the person carrying your child. It was violence used in a domestic context and it was quite dreadful violence of its kind.”

Kelsall was placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely and given a restraining order not to contact the victim.


Mummy body 'dead for weeks'.

Crinoline Bridge Inn in TV spotlight.

Rotherham singer bids for chart success.

Miss England glamour girl models for the Advertiser: PICTURES.

SPORT: Cresswell basks in glow of special goal.


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/