THE lakes at Rother Valley Country Park have been declared off-limits after potentially poisonous algae was found.
The management of the park near Wales scrapped all water-based activities and encouraged visitors not to go in the water following the discovery on Friday.
A spokesman said: “We have been forced to close the lakes for all water-base activities.
“This is due to the high levels of potentially-toxic algae.
“We hope this is only a temporary measure and are working closely with the Environment Agency to resolve this ASAP.”
A notice to customers said the algae “may cause illness in humans and animals, adding: “Please keep pets and children away from the water’s edge. Do not touch scum in the water or on the shore.”
Pet owners reported their dogs suffering eye infections, diarrhoea and other problems.
The park itself remains open for land-based activities, including Saturday’s Colour Obstacle Rush.
The park’s management has been contacted for further comment.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.