Shortlist for Rotherham volunteer awards announced
By Michael Upton | 20/10/2017
A TEAM of volunteers, a police cadet and workers at a children’s charity are all in the running for awards at Rotherham’s celebration of unsung heroes.
The shortlist for the 14th annual Community Achievement Awards has been revealed, with nine nominees across three categories.
They are as follows:
- Pops Outdoor Adventure Centre, which provides all year round activities for young people and the local community encouraging people to engage with the outdoors.
- Rotherham Samaritans, whose team of 59 volunteers provides emotional support for anyone in crisis.
- Rotherham Talking Newspapers, which provides weekly audio recordings of all the latest local news to people with visual and physical impairments.
- Yaqoup Adam, a British Red Cross volunteer who supports vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers in Rotherham.
- Roy Ashton, who volunteers at all Alzheimer's Society Memory Cafes in Rotherham providing support to people with dementia and their carers and family.
- Vicky Berry, who makes a difference to young people's lives through volunteering at JADE Young People's Charity.
- Young volunteer:
- Javaria Bazmi, a volunteer Police Cadet taking part in community engagement events and activities across Rotherham.
- Emily Booth-Rodgers and Natasha Nelson, both volunteers in the in-patient unit at Rotherham Hospice.
- Daniel Maude is a volunteer community first responder, on behalf of the Yorkshire Ambulance Service.
The winner of each category will be announced on Friday, November 17 at the Carlton Park Hotel.
The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.
Spotted something we should know about?
Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email email@example.com
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/