A CARE home has been closed because of costs - leaving 51 elderly residents looking for somewhere to live.
Housing association Anchor pulled the plug on Clifton Meadows, saying under-occupancy had meant it was running at a loss.
The 65-bed home, off Badsley Moor Lane, was given a “requires improvement” rating by the Care Quality Commission at its last inspection.
Rotherham Borough Council said it was helping to relocate residents - but warned the process would take months.
Clifton Meadows head of care Alison Bentley said: “We’re proposing to close the home after carrying out a full and detailed assessment of its financial viability.
“This proposal comes largely as a result of the home’s challenges in ensuring a good level of occupancy, which has meant the home has been operating at a loss for some period of time.
“There are a large number of care homes operating in the area for a limited number of potential residents. This has made it difficult to attract new residents to live at Clifton Meadows.
“The fabric of the building also requires significant future investment to ensure it remains to the standard expected of a residential care home operating in today’s environment.
“The announcement of our intention to close any of our services is only ever made after a great deal of careful consideration.”
One relative, whose dad has been paying about £2,900 a month at Clifton Meadows, said the news had arrived suddenly.
She said: “We had a letter on Tuesday for the meeting in the dining room on Wednesday. They said unfortunately they were going to have to close.
“They did seem sincere in saying they had tried different things over the past couple of years.
“Afterwards, we told Dad. He said he was sorry to leave because it’s been his home for three years and he will miss the staff.
“But he had noticed they had been using more bank and agency staff lately, so I think he knew something was happening.”
Anne Marie Lubanski, the council’s adult care director, said the authority’s priority was the wellbeing of Clifton Meadows residents.
She added: “We understand that this is an unsettling time for residents and families and we are working closely with Anchor, the Care Quality Commission, staff and relatives to ensure a sensitive and supportive move of residents to other homes, carried out as easily and as smoothly as possible.
“All partners are committed to ensuring that this process is well-managed.
“The relocation process will take place over the next several months to allow time to fully assess the needs and aspirations of the residents to find suitable alternative accommodation.”
The CQC’s last report \_— published in December 2017 \_— praised staff care but said risk management practices were not always followed.
Nutritional support could be improved and the activity programme did not meet the needs of all residents, inspectors noted.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.