ROTHERHAM United critcised fan misbehaviour for the second time in a fortnight after an incident involving a “missile” being thrown at an official during their match at Crewe on Saturday.
The club said they were “very disappointed” by the incident and pledged to work with Crewe Alexandra to find and deal with the culprit.
Millers boss Paul Warne said he hoped the offender received a “life ban”, pointing out: “Out of 1,093 fans who turned up, one person's behaviour spoils it for everybody.”
The incident came two weeks after fans were described as “embarrassing” by Rotherham captain Richard Wood following fighting in the away end at Fleetwood and a minute’s silence being marred by noise from among the United supporters.
Wood went over to speak to away fans (above) after the disruption during Saturday's match at Crewe's Gresty Road ground.
Warne said he had been told a coin had been thrown at the assistant referee, who decided he could not continue, but fans said on social media that chewing gum had been thrown.
Rotherham United said in a statement: “We very disappointed to have learned of an incident involving an alleged missile being thrown at an official during our Sky Bet League One encounter with Crewe Alexandra on Saturday.
“Having discussed the matter with colleagues at Crewe, reports suggest that a member of the away crowd has been guilty of throwing a missile towards the referee's assistant which resulted in the affected official having to be replaced on the touchline.
“The club will now investigate the matter with the help of our colleagues at Crewe Alexandra, and will look to identify and punish the individual in question.
“We are embarrassed to once again be releasing a statement regarding the behaviour of a small minority of our supporters, who are not representative of the majority, or of us as a football club.”
Disgusted Millers fans took to social media to condemn the alleged “missile” thrower and point out they did not represent the majority of fans, who were well-behaved.
The EFL, which oversees Sky Bet League One, said that after “inappropriate and reckless crowd behaviour” at multiple grounds on Saturday, it would work “with the relevant authorities and respective clubs to ensure those responsible are held to account”.