Rotherham United beat off competition to land former Doncaster Rovers attacker Kieran Sadlier

Rotherham United beat off competition to land former Doncaster Rovers attacker Kieran Sadlier

By David Beddows | 11/08/2020

Rotherham United beat off competition to land former Doncaster Rovers attacker Kieran Sadlier
Kieran Sadlier at the Millers' training ground. Picture by JIM BRAILSFORD

MANAGER Paul Warne expects new signing Kieran Sadlier to hit the ground running with Rotherham United and says it was the player's adaptability that helped clinch the deal.


The 25-year-old joined on a two-year contract today after turning down the offer of a new deal at Doncaster Rovers, where he caught the eye last term.


Warne was a regular watcher of the former West Ham United youth player who bagged 12 goals for Rovers last season. One of those came against Rotherham in the Football League Trophy last October. 

 

With a need for reinforcements out wide at AESSEAL New York Stadium, Sadlier was a top choice.


"I have always liked him and the fact he can play on either wing or as a number ten gives us extra flexibility," Warne told the Advertiser.


"I have explained to him that we have Chieo Ogbene and Mikel Miller in the building who are both excellent wingers, as is he, so I have three competing for two spots as always. It just gives us another strength really because if anything happens to either of those two we are in trouble, so the three of them can now fight it out."


The Millers had competition from other clubs for a player approaching his prime and who has worked hard at his game.


Sadlier spent time in Scotland with St Mirren and moved to Peterborough, where he was sent out on loan to Halifax before taking the decision to move to Ireland.


He played for Sligo Rovers and Cork City, winning both the league and cup there before Doncaster spotted his talent and took him back to England two years ago.


"I like his story," said Warne, who took an instant liking to Sadlier when the two spoke on Facetime last week.


"He is pretty good with both feet and he is quick. I wouldn't say he's Chieo quick but then I wouldn't say anyone is, in fairness to him.


"He can deliver a decent ball and he has an eye for a goal. The way we want to play this year, we need the wide players to chip in with goals and goal attempts.


"He's at a good age and last year he was one of the standout players in the league.


"There has been a lot of interest in him and when I spoke to him last week for the first time and really liked him as a lad. I told it as it is and as you know with our recruitment, a lot of people had been filtered out by that stage.


"Coming here isn't a massive geographical change for him. He's settled in the area so there won't be a massive setting-in period for him.


"He's an ambitious kid and rightly so. He meets our ambitions so it's a perfect one for us."


Warne will now press on with filling other gaps in his squad before the Championship season starts on September 12, with defensive cover and a new senior goalkeeper among the priorities.




Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/