Rotherham man cleared of New Year's Day killing of Sheffield teenager

Rotherham man cleared of New Year's Day killing of Sheffield teenager

By David Parker | 06/01/2021

Rotherham man cleared of New Year's Day killing of Sheffield teenager
Isaiah Usen-Satchell

 

A MAN has been cleared of killing a Sheffield teenager after the prosecution conceded he had no case to answer.

Isaac Mwanza (19), of Rother View Road, Rotherham, was found not guilty of the manslaughter of Isaiah Usen-Satchell (18, pictured) at Sheffield Crown Court today (Wednesday) following a trial.

The jury were directed by Judge Peter Kelson to find him not guilty after prosecutor Ms Kama Melly QC said that based on the evidence heard during the trial, there was no longer a reasonable prospect of convicting him of manslaughter.

Isaac and his twin brother, Jacob, had already been cleared of the murder of Mr Usen-Satchell earlier in the trial, at the direction of the judge.

Mr Usen-Satchell was found lying in the road on St Aiden’s Road, Sheffield, at about 4.20am on New Year’s Day 2020 following reports of a fight between a group of men.

Police found him with serious arm injuries.

He was taken to hospital, but died a short time later.

A post-mortem concluded he died of a slash wound to his wrist.

Judge Kelson said: “The prosecution in my view could not have more assiduously sought justice for Isaiah.

“This has been a long trial, in the face of Covid, with a determined jury.

“It’s only when you reach this end of the microscope that you discover the massive potential shortfalls, but there had to be a trial to find that out.

“It’s the right solution to an incredibly unique and difficult case.”




Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/