Rotherham boxer Chad Gaynor jailed after contacting ex-partner

Rotherham boxer Chad Gaynor jailed after contacting ex-partner

By David Parker | 19/04/2021

Rotherham boxer Chad Gaynor jailed after contacting ex-partner
Chad Gaynor leaving a previous hearing at Sheffield Crown Court


A BOXER who breached a court order by calling an ex-partner he had once threatened to kill has been jailed.

Rotherham fighter Chad Gaynor (30), of Warreners Drive, Thrybergh, was locked up for 32 weeks at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court after contacting Marie Pointer by telephone — the second time he had breached a court order banning him from contacting her.

He was banned from contacting Ms Pointer by an order made at Sheffield Family Court in April last year.

Gaynor first breached that order when he confronted his ex-girlfriend at her home at 5.30am on August 6, an earlier hearing at Sheffield Crown Court heard.

The pair had been out drinking and Gaynor was heard by one neighbour to say, “I’ll kill you”.

The neighbour had spotted the pair at the bottom of the garden where Gaynor had his hands raised around or near to her neck.

A second witness described hearing a female voice say “Get out of my house” and seeing Ms Pointer very distressed and crying.

Gaynor admitted breaching a non-molestation order at a hearing in October and was given a 12-week jail term, suspended for 18 months.

Gaynor breached that order a second time — by calling Ms Pointer on March 8 — and admitted the offence at the magistrates’ court last on Monday.

His 12-week suspended jail term was activated and he was locked up for a further 20 weeks for breaching the non-molestation order again.

Gaynor had a gloved pro record of 15 wins and two losses when, seven years ago, he was involved in a car crash which broke his neck.

He had been the verge of taking his career to America and had a contract to move to Los Angeles.

Last year, he told the Advertiser that he wanted to get back into boxing and win a British title.

Gaynor was previously convicted for possession of an offensive weapon in 2016 and for affray in January 2018.

He had been due to stand trial at Sheffield Crown Court in September accused of three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, two counts of criminal damage and one of controlling and coercive behaviour.

He denied all of the offences and not guilty verdicts were returned at a hearing at the crown court in February after the complainant withdrew her evidence.