Residents unhappy at fireworks “Covid cancellation”

Residents unhappy at fireworks “Covid cancellation”

By Gareth Dennison | 04/11/2021

Residents unhappy at fireworks “Covid cancellation”

 

RISING Covid cases were blamed as a community fireworks event was cancelled — but residents criticised the move.

Maltby Town Council said there were also concerns about the virus testing tent near the event’s proposed location on the Manor Fields.

A disco and refreshments had been promised in addition to the fireworks display.

One resident said: “Children have been through a lot in the past 18 months and were really looking forward to this. It’s really disappointing.”

Another, responding on Facebook, called the cancellation reasons “very weak” — adding: “Nightclubs are open, kids are mixing with each other, masks are not compulsory, so how is this event going to increase the Covid cases?”

The town council knew the test site was near the proposed location before the initial event announcement, she added.

A town council spokesperson said: “The event has been cancelled due to the increase in local Covid cases.

“There are also concerns towards public safety as there are issues with access onto the field due to the location of the Covid testing site.

“This was a difficult decision but we hope to come back bigger and better next year. There are no significant costs involved with the cancellation.”

Meanwhile, Wales Parish Council’s event will go ahead following a last-minute decision made by members at a special meeting on Tuesday (2) night.

A parish council spokesperson said: “Councillors have resolved to go ahead with it.”

The fire will be lit from 6pm on Friday at Wales Recreation Ground, Kiveton Park.



Newsletter

Sign up to our weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/