POLICE issued advice following concerns about a number of cold callers in Rotherham asking about energy bills.
PC Roy Pittendrigh said the force had received reports of canvassers visiting homes in the Herringthorpe area.
He added: “Although there are genuine sales people who will knock at your door to try and sell you cheaper energy products, amongst other things, please be alert to the non-genuine scammers.
“Please protect yourself, and protect any vulnerable member of your family or community by following the key advice below.”
- Trust no-one who cold calls you and always ask for ID.
- Check people are who they say they are — ask for a name and contact details of their workplace.
- Do not give personal details or banking details to strangers.
- Never send or give money to anyone you don’t know or trust. Do not hand over money or sign anything until you have checked the credentials of the company or individual.
- Do not agree to offers or deals immediately. Make decisions in your own time and insist on time to obtain independent advice. If in doubt phone a relative or a friend.