On-the-whistle report: Solihull Moors 3 Rotherham United 4

On-the-whistle report: Solihull Moors 3 Rotherham United 4

By Paul Davis | 02/12/2019

On-the-whistle report: Solihull Moors 3 Rotherham United 4
Freddie Ladapo in first-half action at Solihull. PIcture by Trevor Price

ROTHERHAM United produced a stunning FA Cup comeback to march into the third round on an unbelievable night at Solihull Moors.

The Millers were 3-0 down late in the second half against the non-leaguers but hit the target four times in a devastating 15-minute blitz to turn the contest on its head.

The winner came in stoppage time and there were wild scenes at the end as players and fans celebrated at Damson Park.

Freddie Ladapo began the comeback in the 76th minute against opposition two divisions below League One Rotherham, Michael Ihiekwe struck three minute later and Michael Smith completed a famous win with headers in the 88th and 91st minutes.

Paul Warne's men will now face Championship Hull City in the next round at AESSEAL New York Stadium.

The joy at the end was in stark contrast to the carnage earlier when the Millers found themselves two goals down inside eight minutes and went even further behind just after the hour mark.

Jamey Osborne sent a sweet drive from the edge of the area past Daniel Iversen in the sixth minute and Alex Gudger quickly doubled the hosts' advantage, applying a close-range finish amid away appeals for offside.

It needed a sharp Iversen save from Paul McCallum's 19th-minute shot to prevent the visitors' evening becoming even worse and the keeper also denied the same man six minutes before the break.

All Rotherham had to show for their first-half efforts was a Ladapo shot on the turn in the fifth minute that gave Ryan Boot an easy save and a Clark Robertson header, from Kyle Vassell's free-kick, that went just wide on the stroke of half-time.

Ladapo, with a shot that was saved and a header that went wide, serviced noticed after the break that the Millers wouldn't lie down but James Ball's 62nd-minute tap-in seemed to have ended the visitors' hopes.

Rotherham thought differently.

Ladapo's poacher's finish - his fifth goal in three games - fired them into life, Ihiekwe bent in a beauty and Smith twice found the corner of the goal on a night never to be forgotten.

Out of calamity had came character. What a response.

Solihull (4-3-1-2): Ryan Boot; Lee Vaughan, Alex Gudger, Callum Howe, Jamie Reckord; Gavin Gunning, James Ball, Kyle Storer; Jamey Osborne (Danny Wright 89); Paul McCallum (Nathan Blissett 75), Jake Beesley (Sam Jones 82). Subs not used: Tyrone Williams, Terry Hawkridge, Shaun Rowley, Adi Yussuf.

Rotherham (4-4-1-1): Daniel Iversen; Matt Olosunde, Michael Ihiekwe, Adam Thompson, Clark Robertson; Carlton Morris (Chiedozie Ogbene 54), Ben Wiles, Dan Barlaser (Matt Crooks 66), Trevor Clarke (Michael Smith 26); Kyle Vassell; Freddie Ladapo. Subs not used: Lewis Price, Jake Cooper, Jamie Lindsay, Jake Hastie.

Goals: Osborne 6, Gudger 8, Ball 62 (Solihull); Ladapo 76, Ihiekwe 79, Smith 88, 90+1 (Rotherham).

Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire).

Attendance: 2,372 (437).

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/