On-the-whistle report: Burton Albion 0 Rotherham United 1

On-the-whistle report: Burton Albion 0 Rotherham United 1

By Paul Davis | 17/08/2019

On-the-whistle report: Burton Albion 0 Rotherham United 1
1-0 to the Millers. Picture by Steve Mettam

PAUL Warne made a victorious return to the place where his managerial career began as Rotherham United won for the third away game in succession, at Burton Albion.

The boss took charge of his first Millers game at the Pirelli Stadium in December 2016 when his side slipped to a 2-1 defeat.

This time, Rotherham edged home 1-0 thanks to a first-half own goal to move up to sixth in the League One table.

They have now won twice on the road in the league and also in the Carabao Cup.

The Millers withstood early Burton pressure before taking a 23rd-minute lead.

Nathan Broadhead rattled the woodwork in the opening minute for the home side and had a shot saved soon after while Scott Fraser volleyed over from around six yards.

But Rotherham worked their way into the game and made the breakthrough with a flowing, length-of-the-field move.

When the cross was cleared, Ben Wiles pounced from the edge of the penalty area, sending in a shot which hit the post and went in off Kieran O'Hara.

It would have been the 20-year-old midfielder's first ever strike but was credited to the Burton goalkeeper.

Freddie Ladapo had a header saved and Kyle Vassell smashed a shot against the bar from wide on the left as the Millers began to impose themselves.

The visitors were indebted to keeper Daniel Iversen on the stroke of half-time as his stunning stop kept them ahead when Liam Boyce got his head to a Fraser free-kick.

In a hard-fought, scrappy second half, Rotherham dug in in their battle for three points before a two-week break from their league programme.

Clark Robertson headed a 50th-minute corner over the bar and Vassell had a clear sight of goal in the 72nd minute only to shoot over.

In between, the Millers survived a big shout for a penalty when Fraser crumpled under Richard Wood's challenge.

By now Rotherham had switched from 4-3-3 to a 4-1-3-2 formation and doggedly saw out the game.

They came close to extending their advantage in the closing stages when Vassell was only an inch away from connecting with substitute Jamie Lindsay's cross and Robertson's goalbound header was deflected over by Colin Daniel.

But their hearts were in their mouths in the dying seconds when Broadhead lifted over a great chance to equalise and David Templeton thumped a volley on to the bar.

Goals: O'Hara og 23 (Rotherham).

Burton (4-3-3): Kieran O'Hara; John Brayford (Oliver Sarkic 75), John-Joe O'Toole, Jake Buxton, Colin Daniel; Ryan Edwards, Stephen Quinn (Kieran Wallace 80), Scott Fraser (David Templeton 87); Lucas Akins, Liam Boyce, Nathan Broadhead. Not used: Stephen Bywater, Jo Sbarra, Reece Hutchinson, Richard Nartey.

Rotherham (4-3-3): Daniel Iversen; Matt Olosunde, Michael Ihiekwe, Richard Wood, Clark Robertson; Ben Wiles, Dan Barlaser (Jamie Lindsay 72), Matt Crooks; Michael Smith (Jamie Proctor 80), Kyle Vassell, Freddie Ladapo (Shaun MacDonald 57). Unused: Lewis Price, Joe Mattock,, Jake Cooper.

Referee: Nick Kinseley (Essex).

Attendance: 3,822 (1,600).

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/