OAP escapes as bed-warming wheat bag catches fire

OAP escapes as bed-warming wheat bag catches fire

By Michele Vincent | 29/09/2011 0 comments

OAP escapes as bed-warming wheat bag catches fire

A WOMAN in her 90s suffered the effects of inhaling smoke after a microwave wheat bag she was using to heat her bed caught fire.

The pensioner was woken by a smoke alarm and managed to take the bag to the bathroom and put it out with water before making her way downstairs at her home in Conisbrough.

She was treated for smoke inhalation by an ambulance crew, but did not need hospital treatment.

Edlington and Doncaster firefighters found the house smoke-logged, but the only damage was to scorched bedding.

A South Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said: “Firefighters are urging people to ensure their elderly friends and relatives have working smoke alarms fitted.

“With autumn on its way, they are also warning people to check electric blankets before their first use of the year.”

Tags


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here



Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/