A WOMAN who alleges she was sexually abused by a former Rotherham peer told another complainant that she was seeking justice for all of his victims, a court has been told.
The woman, who alleges she was abused by ex-Labour peer Nazir Ahmed as a young girl, said in a telephone conversation with another complainant which was played at Sheffield Crown Court today: “There’s more of us.
“It takes just one person to break the silence and it helps others to come forward.
“This is not just for me. It’s for you and all the other children who Nazir Ahmed sexually abused, and his brothers now.”
The woman said this was their one opportunity to right the wrongs of the past.
Ahmed (64) is on trial accused of repeatedly sexually abusing a young boy and girl in the early 70s.
The former Labour peer’s brothers, Mohammed Farouq (71) and Mohammed Tariq (65), have also been accused of assault but have been deemed not fit to plead on health grounds.
Farouq and Tariq face a trial of the facts and the jury will be asked to determine whether they did the acts they are accused of.
A jury was sworn in before all three defendants on Tuesday.
Ahmed is accused of sexually assaulting a boy between 1971 and 1972 and of attempting to rape a girl between 1973 and 1974.
He denies buggery, indecent assault and two counts of attempted rape.
Tariq, of Gerard Road, Rotherham, faces two counts of indecent assault between 1970 and 1972 and Farouq, of Worrygoose Lane, Rotherham, faces four counts of indecent assault between 1968 and 1972.
Mr Tom Little, prosecuting, said Ahmed had attempted to rape the girl twice when he was 16 or 17 and she was much younger.
All three brothers had repeatedly sexually abused the boy, he said.
Mr Little said: “[They] were too young to stop it and too young to do anything about it.
“Those that it happened to kept it buried away for many years as, we say, is so often the case.
“However, it is no longer buried away, no longer kept quiet.
“They have now complained, not just to those who they know or love or trust, but, far more recently, to the police.”
Mr Little said the brothers, who were in their late teens and early 20s at the time of the offending, carried out the sexual abuse in two properties in Rotherham.
He said the defendants had hoped the criminal acts would never see the light of day, but now they had, and one of them had apologised to one of the complainants many years later for what he had done.
Mr Little said the brothers had stopped abusing the boy when he had left the UK in 1972.
He said the female complainant had reported Ahmed to the police in 2016 because she feared children had been at risk from him.
Mr Little said: “The first defendant [Ahmed]’s case is that this did not occur and it’s all a malicious fiction.”
He said Ahmed’s brothers also maintained it did not happen.
Ahmed denies all of the charges.
The trial continues.