ROTHERHAM United this week stepped up their bid to keep key duo Michael Ihiekwe and Joe Mattock at the club.
Centre-half Ihiekwe and left-back Mattock are out of contract at the end of the season and manager Paul Warne is keen to see them commit their futures to the Millers.
Informal talks have been held over the phone and yesterday (Thursday) the process of tying them to new deals moved forward as the pair received official written offers.
“The offers we have made are good ones,” said Warne whose side are in League One action against Shrewsbury Town on Saturday at AESSEAL New York Stadium.
“They're not insulting offers. They're offers that say we want you here. We have a pay structure we won't break but hopefully they will both agree to stay.”
The boss added that head of recruitment Rob Scott was due to meet the players' agents in person yesterday.
Ihiekwe and Mattock are both first-choice picks and are set to start against the Shrews this weekend when Rotherham will still be without striker Kyle Vassell
The 26-year-old, a regular starter in the opening games of the season, joined in full training yesterday after a hamstring pull sustained against Tranmere Rovers late last month.
However, he felt his hamstring tighten up and is now out for a further fortnight.
Midfielder Jamie Lindsay is being monitored because of a sore toe but the Millers expect him to be fit.
Meanwhile, injured new boy Chiedozie Ogbene is due to undergo a second scan today as Rotherham look to accelerate his comeback from a hamstring tear.
The flying winger shone on his debut against Tranmere but has been out of action since.
“Chieo is going to have another scan to see where we are with him,” Warne said. “Hopefully we can push him on a bit. He is at least two weeks away.”
Left-back Trevor Clarke, yet to play since his summer move from Shamrock Rovers, has left the treatment room and is back training on the grass as he puts a knee injury behind him.
The Millers have decided against bringing back free-agent winger Zak Dearnley for a second trial.
The former Manchester United youngster trained with them for more than a fortnight in August but suffered a quad injury the day before he was due to press his claims for a contract in a private game.
He was expected to be given another chance once he was fit but the club signed two other wide men in Ogbene and Jake Hastie in the closing stages of the transfer window.
“Nothing is happening with Zak,” Warne said. “He did well, but unfortunately we haven't got anything to offer him at this time.”
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.