A RISE in Covid-19 inpatient numbers at Mexborough's Montagu Hospital has forced its health trust to restrict all but essential visitors.
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals (DBTH) Trust has taken the decision to protect patients, staff and the community.
As of today (Monday), there were 18 inpatients being treated for Covid-19 at the Montagu Hospital.
Dr Ken Agwuh, director of infection, prevention and control and consultant microbiologist at DBTH, said the Covid-19 inpatients were being treated in one specific isolated area of the hospital site in Mexborough.
He added: "A full review of this clinical environment has occurred and further surveillance testing of both staff and patients is in place, while the latter are routinely tested on transfer to the unit.
"Unfortunately, we will be restricting visitors to this area as a further precautionary measure due to the prevalence of Covid-19 locally."
Dr Agwuh said there was a significant risk of asymptomatic transfer of the virus in the community, and in hospital, and everyone needed to be extremely vigilant to tackle this virus.
"We are dependent on local people continuing to do the right thing and only come to our hospitals when it is absolutely necessary to further reduce the spread of Covd-19," he added.
Until further notice, visiting will only be permitted in the following circumstances:
- For patients who are receiving end-of-life care or are terminally ill and in the late stages of their illness.
- For birthing partners in maternity units.
- For birthing partners accompanying mothers to 18 to 21-week anomaly scans.
- For parents or legal guardians within paediatric and neonatal services.
- For long-stay patients and those with dementia or where best interest decisions or exceptional clinical/social matters are being discussed, at the discretion of the nurse or midwife in charge.
Trust staff will support patients' friends and family by organising virtual visits, as well as other alternative arrangements. Clinical appointments are running as normal.
For information on visiting restrictions, visit: https://www.dbth.nhs.uk/non-essential-visiting-suspended/exemption-visiting-covid-19/