A MEMORIAL to Silverwood Colliery has been erected to keep the pit’s history alive for future generations.
An unveiling event at the Baggin — officially Silverwood Miners’ Welfare Club — attracted a large crowd, following years of fundraising.
The tribute features four miners, a dedication to the ten pit workers killed in the 1966 paddy mail crash, and dozens of names from sponsors of the project engraved on bricks.
A statue design was chosen for the social venue, Dalton, to contrast with the pit wheel at the actual site of the pit, about a mile away on Hollings Lane.
The first shaft at Silverwood was sunk in 1900, with coal production starting five years later. The colliery closed in 1994.